Joey

Joey is my adorable, Kelpie puppy that I received from my family, for my 10th birthday.

He is covered in short, black fur with a gold face and belly, and has abnormally large, brown eyes. This sunny morning, Joey and I decided to go down to the park quite early; because the summer weather meant the mornings were nice and warm. Joey loved the park. The smell of freshly-mowed grass and the sound of the birds chattering up in the trees filled him with joy and excitement; which you could see because every time we got near the park gate he would wag his little, brown tail and stick out his tongue so far it looked like he was smiling. I would take Joey off his lead so he could run around and try to find something he could chew on with his sharp little teeth… Today I brought a bright, orange Frisbee so we could play fetch under a large oak tree, which stood in the very centre of the park.

You could see the excitement and loyalty in Joey’s eyes each time the ridiculously big, orange Frisbee was returned. It was as if he was saying, “Look how clever I am”. I think of all the places we go, Joey likes the park the best. I love to watch him clumsily run around after the balls I throw to him and sniff at the places he has sniffed at a million times before… For some reason, Joey has taken an unusual liking to attacking random plants, which live in the park. Not just your everyday grass, but strange, spiky, purple plants and poisonous-looking mushrooms. Sometimes I will just be sitting there reading a book when something covered in dog-saliva is deposited onto my lap. I find it very gross, but Joey looks up at me in such a way where I seem to forgive him straight away.


The last I’d seen Joey was five minutes ago, sniffing at a peculiar red plant but now he had mysteriously disappeared. “Joey!” I called, but there was no reply. Suddenly, I heard a ripping sound and a familiar growl. I slowly walked towards the sound of the strange ripping. I heard a final tug and then it was silent. I sat down under a large maple, wondering what do when… a little, brown, furry thing came bounding up to me with a large branch covered in thick, green foliage. I was about to tell him off but then I just started laughing.” Oh, my Joey,” I said, as I sat there looking at how ridiculous he looked. He looked up at me, and smiled…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!