I Remember The First Time I Saw

Finalist in the 'Far Out 2012' competition

The memory flickers through my dreams brightly every night. The feeling of flying so elegantly shutters through, deeply in disguise. As the tips of my toes go into a numb pleasure feeling, my heart races, head spinning, the feeling of freedom. The beautiful shining satin, with a soft pretty pink colour, gleams as I spin around. It is under filled with concrete for support. How can something so beautiful contain such a hard substance?

As the concrete filling supports my toes, gracefully I spun. I spun around, and around, and around. Eventually I stopped. My heart was filled with pleasure as the soothing, relaxing tunes hummed through my mind. The vibrations through the old wooden floor, made me wish for more. Out of breath my lungs gasped for air. The joy and bliss sensation I felt whilst consuming my passion was so strong that my heart pounded.

As I slowly released down into a demi plie, I strived for excellence and hoped to succeed. Glissade, Jete, Pas De Bourree and into Arabesque repeatedly echoed throughout my mind as I practiced over and over again. Peacefully, I waited for the music to begin for the 20th time so that I could improve even just a fraction. It was like writing a song, playing every beat, note and rhyme.

I glanced over to my teacher, Miss Michelle. She is so beautiful, with such a perfect posture and amazing turn out. I looked to see her face. It was serious and blunt. It was hard to tell what she was thinking. As I lifted into an Arabesque, a light, soft smile appeared on her face. I could tell that she appreciated my dedication and hard work. It made me smile such a pleasurable smile on the inside.

My feet were aching, with blisters swelling, but that didn’t stop me. The soothing and soft breaths I took as I was dancing with poise, made the pain slowly disappear moving through my mind like a soft mist. All I could see was the mirror and me. My eyes were glowing, sparkling and filled with a magical desire. I stared at myself happy and satisfied. As I took my final graceful steps, I struggled to stop. The pleasure was so strong that I smiled as I looked down, whilst taking my bow.

I slowly sat down untying each beautiful, shining satin lace one by one. I slipped my swollen, burning feet from my shoes.

I will never forget the first time I saw my first pair of Pointe shoes.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!