Never Again

I sway on the chipped wooden swing, staring off into the inky distance. My bare feet are cold and an ugly shade of purple. Every inch of exposed skin is covered in goose bumps. Shudders rage down my weather beaten body. Winter is always the worst challenge I have to face. But I would choose this lifestyle as an alternative to a home one hundred times over. I would never return to an orphanage. Never again.

I hear my name whispered on the wind, and as if in a dream I raise my filthy face towards the sound. As my gaze focuses, I take in the five-man mob tearing towards my frozen form. Just when I thought I wouldn’t have to run again, these men prove me wrong.

I uncurl my purple digits from around the rusted chain and as gracefully as my stiff body will allow, I slip off the swing. I stand rigidly, a light breeze beginning to wash around me. Then I hear their voices again, louder now, and I begin to shake my limbs, warming them up in preparation for the situation I know is about to unfold.

“Arianna Bailey! Arianna do not move from your position! We are here to help and we just need your cooperation!” A small smile plays on my cracked lips and I laugh quietly at their attempt to convince me that their intentions are only good. I begin to count down the meters.

Twenty

Fifteen.

Ten.

Eight and I run.

My lungs are burning as I breathe in the cool winter air. I can hear them behind me, a stampede of feet running towards a combined goal: me. I dart between the trees and gardens, leaping over fallen branches and holes in the pavement. I’m flying through the air like a bird, effortlessly increasing the distance between myself and the men. They won’t catch me. Never again.

I’m starting to slow down, running out of energy. I glance around for somewhere to hide and from the corner of my eye glimpse a narrow alleyway. I quietly thank God and divert my headlong sprint towards its opening.

My shoes hitting the pavement, kicking up stones.

My lungs aching for the sweet relief of oxygen.

I burst into the alley and laugh at the chase now simply a thing of the past. I can hear the men cursing at their loss but it’s all I can do to sink to my knees in the shadows, drawing in long, deep breaths. I smile at their petty yelling and the slamming of their polished boots on the wall.

I will never go back.

Never let them catch me.

Never again.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!