Family Vacation

I hate the bush.
When my Mum had suggested going to the bush for a ‘family bonding session’, I was immediately against it. But now, here I was, standing in front of a ratty old cabin wishing I had never agreed to this. Not even for the $50 Dad used to bribe me to come.
I walked up the rickety old steps of the cabin entrance and hauled my bags inside. I inspected the house. I am shocked to see the state of the kitchen, mouldy walls and roof, ancient appliances and the water out of the tap is brown. Disgusted, I walked back into my room and collapsed on my new hard and lumpy bed. I was close to tears; I can’t take being pulled away from my perfect life at home for the school holidays. My friends will now be all hanging out at a resort together having fun while my parents dragged me into this.
I got into my pyjamas and tried to get comfy inside the canopy of rough sheets enveloping me. I hope that if I fell asleep, I would wake up and this would all be just a dream.

“Isabel, get up!” Dad shouted from the kitchen, “Come and have breakfast, we have a busy day today.”
I rolled out of bed and stumbled into the bathroom, rubbing my eyes. When I came to my senses, I froze. No, this couldn’t be happening. It wasn’t just a bad dream, I really was in this dump they called a ‘cabin’. I crumpled to the floor, tears stinging my eyes as I started to cry.
After 10 minutes of lying on the floor sulking, I slowly stood and cautiously walked into the bathroom. What I saw shouldn’t have surprised me because this was about the state the rest of the house was, but still. The mirror was covered in grime, the tap’s hot water handle had fallen off, the shower was mouldy and the toilet was pretty much a ring of plastic around a dirt hole.
I attempted to put on my make-up and do my hair but I couldn’t see a thing through the mirror. Giving up, I sighed and went to see what Mum had make for breakfast.
An enticing scent filled my nostrils. Mmmm pancakes, I thought. At least I can have some normalcy in my life. I gratefully accepted the plate Dad handed me and sat down.
“Ok troops, time to go bush walking!” My Dad yelled. My younger sister, Chloe cheered in response and ran to put on her shoes. I shook my head in defeat, how could anyone be excited about this trip? I trudged back into my room to get dressed. As I opened my three duffle bags, I sighed. Feeling stupid for not packing any hiking clothes I picked out a baby blue singlet and black jeans.
This was going to be a long weekend.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!