War Story

12/3/1940
Dear Diary,
It was a cold winter morning. My bedroom window was fogged up and in between the gaps all I could see were leaves falling to the ground. This is when dad came in and sat me down. I knew he had something on his mind. The talk went on for ages. I had gone through a box of tissues crying over the fact that he was chosen to go to war. It was around 12 o’clock midday and the horse and cart had come to collect dad. Mum and I went to say goodbye and soon the horse had faded into the distance.
It went on for days, weeks, months and I eventually lost count, but one thing he still wasn’t here. Mum was so grief stricken that she had passed away, which left me and Aunt Nancy. One thing for sure we both had, had enough. My birthday had come and he was still not here. I walked to my room and sat on my bed. The phone rang I picked up. I heard dad’s voice. He told me that the Sargent had given him the day off because he had worked so hard. He said he was coming home in 2 days. I felt so ecstatic that I forgot to tell him about mum; anyway I could not break his heart not just yet anyway.
I hope I find the strength soon to tell him so we can both move forward.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!