A Broken World

I awoke in a terrible shock, I clutched my chest where my heart was beating rapidly. I was in The Pit again, why did the city select me as champion? I dressed, ate and packed my bag. When I walked out of my house Sarah and Christopher were standing outside.
"Took your time!" complained Christopher.
"let's go already," said Sarah.

I had asked Sarah and Christopher to accompany on my quest to The Pit. I had been having nightmares about the place for weeks, nobody returned. Every year The City's champion never returned.

An hour later we arrived at The Pit. It was huge, a castle more than a deep hole. After minutes of wary staring we entered trough a large door that loomed over us. The second we walked in I gasped ‘’Stop!’’ I commanded.
‘’What?’’ asked Sarah incredulous.
I pointed at a hidden pressure plate on the floor, The Pit was trapped. We spent the next few hours dodging traps and solving puzzles of all kinds. I was surprised we didn’t die in the first minute

Sarah noticed something
‘’Look at that,’’ she said pointing to an elaborate door.
‘’I bet the sword’s in there,’’ said Christopher.
As we walked in we heard a horrible young voice.
“Welcome to The Pit of Gold, and welcome to your death, I am Astrid...Also known as the Evil Child.” She cackled mercilessly. Then we saw her.

She was like a cyborg, but instead of half robot, she was half gold. One of her eyes, was covered in a golden eye patch, both her arms were like sickening sleeves and there were a few golden locks next to her natural black hair.
“I suppose you’re looking for this?” she pointed to The Golden Sword which was in front of Sarah. Now I knew what had happened to the previous champions. She had killed them and I was about to find out how.

Sarah picked The Sword up and with a furious look she lashed out at Christopher, he dodged just in time. Her betrayal had mentally blown me off my feet. What Sarah didn’t see was that Astrid had raised her arm and was chanting an incantation. Sarah went to strike Christopher again but, Astrid was finished, Sarah froze, her eyes filmed over and gold crept around her body. She was now a golden statue of herself.

Astrid giggled
“What fun!” she said.
Astrid didn’t notice that I had grabbed The Sword and snuck around behind her. I drove The Sword into her body. Her face registered no shock.

Richard and I left.

When we started dodging traps Christopher fell down a gigantic hole. I clutched The Sword and carried on.

When I arrived at the city I walked up to The Statue, I placed The Sword at its feet. It picked The Sword up and with the speed of a eagle The Statue killed me, but I knew I had saved the world.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!