A Book, A Child's Adventure Playground

Samantha peered outside the window. The sky was dark and gloomy. It was raining heavily outside. It was unfair, Samantha thought, that she wasn’t allowed to go outside. Her mother wouldn’t let her. “You can’t go outside on the playground. It’s raining, honey,” she had said.

Samantha groaned and slouched herself in the couch. “It’s so boring. There’s nothing fun to do!” she sulked.

She then began a search of the lounge room, until her eyes rested on the large bookcase that stood in the corner. A book in particular caught her attention. The thick red spine labelled the title, ‘The Great Adventure.’ Intrigued, she picked up the book and took it over with her to the couch. She sat down and glanced at the book’s cover. It was crowded with pictures of great adventures. Samantha wished that she could escape to these places, if only she was allowed outside. “You’re adventure awaits. Let your imagination lead you,” she read slowly along the bottom of the book’s cover.

As soon as Samantha opened the book, a flash of glowing light shone out from it and she was sucked into the book.

Unaware of where she was, she peered around at her surroundings. Dry, golden land, scattered with cracks, laid under her feet. The hot sunlight beamed down upon her. Enormous trees, stretching high into the sky, populated the area.

Samantha gaped as she saw humungous-figured shadows in front of her. She glanced up slowly and then saw the monstrous creatures. “Dinosaurs,” she exclaimed, her mouth open wide in awe. The area echoed the loud murmurs and groans of the creatures as they munched continuously away at the vegetation. She pondered for a second and then looked up. “This must mean I’m in the pre-historic ages. Cool!”

When she turned, she found a large stampede of dinosaurs racing towards her, their large eyes gleaming in the sun. Samantha panicked and began to run. As the dinosaurs approached closer, she knew she could be gobbled up in seconds.

Samantha then felt her body lift from the ground. Opening her eyes, she found herself hoisted on the back of an amazing flying creature. “Wow, I’m on a terradactyl,” she whispered and grinned while her hands gripped tightly on the creature’s back. Its large broad wings flapped on either side of Samantha as they soared through the sky. Samantha slowly straightened out her arms until they were horizontal to her shoulders. The cool wind brushed through her hair.

Then a sudden flash of light brought her back to present time. Sitting upon the couch, she quickly loosened her arms. “Wow, that was awesome,” she said, greatly amazed.

Samantha’s mum entered the room. “You seem quiet dear. Well lucky for you, the sun has come up again, so you can now go outside,” she said after having peered through the window.
“Nah, I think I’d rather stay inside.”
“O.K dear,” her mum said and disappeared into the kitchen, greatly surprised at her daughter’s response.

Again and this time greatly intrigued, Samantha flipped open the book and escaped to another adventure.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!