Obey.

They were robots, the whole lot of them walking around like being preparing to be built on an assembly line. I looked around at the large facility and tried to remember why I was here, but I couldn’t they had placed a red headband that prevented free will on my head, I could think my own thoughts but movement was beyond my jurisdiction . I looked around to see thousands of people lining up before things that ‘scanned’ you just like a metal detector. I was forced to take another step but it wasn’t my step, it wasn’t my decision to be slowing approaching this scanner in this vast… I actually didn’t know where I was or what was going to happen to me as I approached the scanner readied for the worst.

As the people walked through they screamed and tried to take their headbands off but they couldn’t and either could I and after I few minutes I arrived the front of the line and stepped into the scanner and felt pain rush over me as the beam lowered into my body. I looked ahead to see thousands of empty cubicles with computers in them, the only full cubicles were the hundreds people who were in front of me the scanners stopped and the headband commanded my body to walk to an empty cubicle.

As I sat down the computers flicked on and an extremely loud metallic screeching filled my ears and a mean looking face appeared on the screen and repetitively moaned “OBEY” the screeching was so painful and a heavy force prevented me from taking the headband off. The scary face said “you should not care about anything, detach yourself from your body”. The screech chiselled every sentence into my mind to the point of my ears bleeding; I looked around and over the cubicles to see I was the only one in pain and that everyone else was taking this easy. The next screech was the loudest thing I had ever heard. I let out what I thought would be my last ear wrenching scream. A man with no facial features dressed in black walked over to my cubicle, he took the headband off. I dropped the ground like the headband was my life support and fainted.

When I woke up there was blood all over me, all I heard was screeching. I looked up to see the computer off, my headband nowhere in sight. I could move freely now as I picked myself up and walked out of the cubicle to see everyone who had once been sitting at their computers face down with no signs of life. I could hear nothing but screeching. I felt a presence behind me and turned around to see the scary faced man down the hall with a headband in his hand, I thought to myself, not again as I ran toward the window and jumped toward the city in which the fall would surely kill me.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!