A Calm Autumn's Night Alone

The scent of a calm autumn’s night filled the air. Its elegant and delicate fragrance slowly drifted off into the night sky. A gentle breeze began to blow, whistling through the night and rustling the autumn leaves. Atop a tall grassy hill facing a lake, I stood and watched the conglomerate of stars coruscating and reflecting its refinement. The full moon presented its beauteous effulgence as it shone its bright and contrasting rays of light onto the shimmering lake. I stood atop a grassy hill facing a lake in silence; with nothing but the sound of the gentle breeze whistling its tune and the susurration of autumn leaves.

A golden leaf from an autumn tree gracefully dropped from its branch and drifted onto my shoulder. A truly elegant and graceful entity it was. Soon, it was picked up by the wind and it joined the quiet breeze on its journey to the horizon. It was dragged out further to the lake and directly into the moon’s radiant luminosity. Atop a tall grassy hill, I stood and watched this magnificent dance in the moon’s spotlight. Swift, graceful movements from left to right and eventually further away to the dark strip of horizon, no longer highlighted by the moon’s splendid gleam.

The silence is a beauty, a gift – an art. The scattered glimmering stars in the night sky brandished its harmonious glow and surrounded the gigantic round moon. No sound except from the natural breeze could be heard, only the elegant and delicate dancing of light in the night sky. Groups of stars twinkled simultaneously, a harmonious symphony of light. Atop a tall grassy hill, I stood and watched this silent symphony of beauteous simultaneous phosphorescence.

I watched the calm lake in awe as it revealed an array of gentle, delicate water ripples under the bright luminescence of moonlight. Like a bird, the ripples spread its wings subtly across the lake in a swift but graceful fashion. The lake reflected the illuminating lambency of the congenial moonlight. The pulchritude of the graceful exquisiteness of the ripples’ movement was in itself an aesthetic spectacle. Atop a tall grassy hill, I stood and watched the elegant ripples of the lake slowly drifting away towards the horizon under the bright beacon of the moon.

“Oh wonder! How many goodly creatures are there here! Oh brave new world!” I exclaimed to the picturesque wonderland.

It seemed appropriate to recite a Shakespearean quote, for only true enchanting art could be weaved together with the brilliant autumn’s night sky. Atop a tall grassy hill, I stood and watched the marvellous landscape – a harmonious combination of luminescent lights and delicate water ripples on the lake. Atop a tall grassy hill, I stood and listened to the soft howl of the swift breeze and the rustling of golden autumn leaves floating gently in the wind. Atop a tall grassy hill, I stood and adored a calm autumn’s night alone.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!