Mad For The Moon

TUESDAY MORNING
What was happening to me? All I can remember was suddenly going from walking on two legs to running on all fours. I couldn't think straight. Blood was pumping through my head. Where was I going? What was I doing?
I can’t stop asking myself these questions. It happened to me last night. Something happened. I don’t know what. It was like a transformation. I left like an animal.
Maybe it was just a dream, but dreams weren't supposed to hurt. I know I woke up in bed this morning, but was I there all night? I got up from my bed, went to the bathroom and washed my face off, questions still buzzing around my head.
The house was empty. My parents are on a trip to Fiji, and left me by myself in the house. I can’t believe they did though, they baby me so much. I mean seriously, I’m 17, and they act like they still need to hand feed me. But I like the space.
I was too caught up in my thoughts that I forgot this house had stairs. I tripped on the first one, falling down the rest. I landed at the bottom, groaning. I somehow managed to stand up and make my way to the couch. I looked down at my knee. It was swollen and bruised. I couldn't have gotten it just then, it wouldn't have shown that fast… maybe last night was real… but what happened?
“Boy, the lunatics were out last night! Did you see the size of that full moon?!” I whipped my head around to the radio. I must have left it on last night, or whenever I used it last. I don’t know. I limped over to it, and turned it off.

TUESDAY EVENING
It was 5:15 in the evening. I think it was around this time that it happened last night, or, in the dream. I’m still a bit confused. I was staring at the clock, waiting to black out, or for something to explode, waiting for anything to happen.
Just as the clock ticked over to 5:19 I got a sharp pain in my chest. Not like that feeling you get when food gets stuck in your throat, a pain so bad I wanted to rip open my chest and get it out of me. I was on my hands and knees, taking deep, heavy breaths. The pain slowly went away. Just as I was getting back up again, it came back, twice as bad. Not just in my chest, but everywhere. It felt worse in my hands. I looked down at them. They were moving. My nails were growing. Getting longer, thicker, pointier. The pain doubled again. I screamed in agony. Hair. That’s all I could see. Hair was growing all over me. I was doubled over in pain when it stopped. I looked up and saw my reflection in the television screen. Was I a--? No, I couldn't be.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!