Never Forgotten... Never Forget

The fierce rays of sun light burned determinedly into Toby’s unconscious eyes, awakening him from another sleepless night. Today was the day, it was his day. Even after enduring seven months of intense training he knew there was more. Today was the day of the Police Academy graduation ceremony. Toby always knew that he wanted to be a police officer and this was the day when his life’s ambition would come true.
Persistently, Toby rolled out of bed, being cautious not to put too much weight on his newly sprained ankle, and hopped tentatively towards a small, poorly crafted pine-wood dining table that was stationary in the claustrophobic dormitory.
Upon the table were piles of papers, take-away containers from his feast last night and several photographs scattered recklessly on the top of the filth pile, some which have fallen to the floor. Toby’s mind was restless. After a sudden pain of hunger stabbed in his stomach, he searched the grubby table for scraps of what would make up his breakfast. But instead of grabbing a half-eaten burger, his hands snatched up a tattered photograph of two small, wide eyed children. It was him… and his sister.
It was so long ago, yet it was so easy to remember. How beautiful and angelic his seven year old sister was, unconsciously blinded to the responsibility of life that she would never get the chance to experience. He stared distantly at the photograph, recalling her bouncy chocolate ringlets that would dangle stubbornly around her delicate porcelain doll face. How easily these dolls broke… She was flawlessly beautiful, even at the young age of seven.
Unfortunately, Toby’s wild burgundy snippets of a bowl-cut messing his chubby, freckled face didn’t resemble his sister’s stunning demeanour. It was hard to even see the resemblance between the two innocent children starring off into the distance.
Toby was slouched miserably over the tarnished photo wiping back silent tears of longing, wondering. What if Samara got to grow up and develop into the beautiful lady she would have bloomed into? What if a psychotic maniac didn’t heartlessly shoot her, snatching her from her unexperienced youth? Toby didn’t need to wonder. He knew that Samara would be beside him, supporting him, encouraging him to reach his dreams.
The memory of the day that Samara was torn from life was so distant, but so easy to remember it seemed as though it only happened yesterday. They were both so happy that morning to go to school, eager to see their friends and learn something new. Remembering how every morning Samara would parade determinedly into his bedroom and jump playfully on his bed, wishing him the best of a new day, brought a tear of delight to his eye.
Toby could never fully recall the day before he received the life-changing news. Although no-one would ever be able to forget the heart-breaking screams that was followed by a series of bullet shots. He has never been able to forget the trauma that ripped through his parents faces as they went into hysterias when only one of their children was brought to them from the shooting grounds of the elementary school. It was an unforgettable memory that would stay with Toby for the rest of his life.
Certain circumstances change people’s life, and the way that people view life. This changed Toby’s life, although he has never been quite sure if this made him stronger or just scarred him for life.
Even though Toby lost his sister when he was eight years old, he never truly felt like she was gone. She was always with him, watching him; like a guardian angel. He never would have been able to get to where he is today without her there with him. Every night he feels a security in knowing that the psychotic maniac that shot his sister took his own life, perhaps from guilt.
Every day during Toby’s life has been a challenge, yet today he was being awarded, receiving his rank in life. This must be what kings feel like before they are crowned, finally finding their position in the hierarchy of life.
Toby silently whimpered, exhaling deeply, clenching the photograph protectively into his chest. ‘Thank-you Samara,’ were the only words that escaped Toby’s lips before he closed his eyes.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!