Madeline The Mermaid

“Aah,” yawned Madeline the mermaid, she was so tired. It had been an exciting week.
It had started with her birthday! Her parents were the King and Queen of the Ocean, so they could get her anything she wished, but all she wished was to go up to the surface of the water, so they let her.
She had to take with her something from the ocean and bring it back by sunset or she would turn into a human forever! She chose a coral necklace that her grandmother had given her when she was a baby.
At sunrise Madeline swam up to the top of the ocean and broke through the surface. The seagulls that had been bobbing on the surface flew away, screeching loudly. Madeline thought it was the most beautiful sight she had ever seen. There was golden sand glimmering like diamonds on the beach and beautiful mountains covered with bright green trees and plants. There were also streams running down the side.
In front of the mountains there was a big forest full of palm trees and native plants and animals.
She had never seen anything like it! She swam up to the sand and touched her coral necklace. It glowed and then she grew legs so she could walk on the sand. She saw a boy about her age sitting on the sand nearby so she went over to him and asked him about the wonders around the beach. He smiled and showed her around the beach.
She saw a small rock next to the deep part of the water and wanted to dive off it. The boy’s name was Charlie and he offered to go first. He jumped off the rock and did a very straight dive and only made a small splash. Madeline had a go and she wasn't used to diving but she did a very graceful dive. Charlie thought it was very impressive and gave her a clap.
The sun was setting so she said goodbye to Charlie. She gave him a wave and splashed through the water back to her parents’ castle. While she was swimming, she touched her coral necklace and her legs moulded together and she became a mermaid again.
Every day for a week after, she came back and played with Charlie. But one day she dived into the water and touched her neck and her necklace had gone! She was very worried so she called out to Charlie to help her. Charlie dived into the water and he was wearing something around his wrist. He touched it and he turned into a merman. Madeline was so surprised. He helped her look for the necklace in the ocean and they finally found it. She stared at him and said, “You never told me you were a merman”. And he said, “I never had the chance”.
Madeline put her necklace on and they swam to the castle together where they lived together forever.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!