Early Breeze

Prologue: Pandora


I'm standing on the runway, nerves and excitement flowing through me. Suitcases in hand, I turn my head towards the early morning breeze, my hair escaping from my ponytail and flying across my face. I watch the other planes go by as I wait for mine. It's the first time I have travelled in one before. I'm going to see my grandparents in New York. I hear footsteps & I turn around. I gasp at the sight I see in front of me. A man, who looks my age, walking towards me with the sun shining behind him, highlighting his beautiful green eyes. He's holding a helmet in the crook of his arm. He smiles when he stops in front of me.
“So,” He says with a cute Northern accent, “Are you the gorgeous woman who is to be my passenger today?”...


Chapter 1: Orla

“Mum! Do you know where my history book has gone?” I bellowed across our small cottage.
“No. Is it where you left it last night when you were up at stupid o'clock doing homework?” She asked. I paused in thought. Before replying, I ran over to my study and saw my bright orange history book on the table. I snatched it up and yelled down the hall to my mum.
“Thanks Mum! Your'e the best!” I smiled as she walked up the stairs, posing like she was on a catwalk and pulling the most failed version of the duck face girls pull these days.
“I know.” She said in a mocking voice, trying not to laugh her head off. It didn't work. We both laughed our heads off and I walked over her to give her a hug. We stood for quite a while, locked in an embrace and still laughing. Then a knock came from downstairs and I remembered school. I quickly pulled away and ran down the stairs, yelling at the person at the door to wait. I gathered all my school books and looked out the window. Damn! I hate snow! I yanked on my favourite sweater and headed downstairs. Mum was cooking her breakfast and talking to the young boy sitting in front of our kitchen bench. I walked over to him and wrapped my arms around his shoulders.
“Hey Curtis!”
“Hello to you too Curly! Who's in a good mood this morning?” He asked with a sly smile on his handsome face.
“Come on kids! You have school today. Make sure you stay there! I don't want another letter from the school in the same week!”
“Of course we won't skip Mum! I love you too much to do that!” I replied, walking around to her and kissing her on her cheek.
“I love you too sweetie. Look after her Curtis!”
“ I will Miss Daly.” Curtis replied in a very sweet, gentleman kind of voice. I rolled my eyes. I knew what my Mum was going to say.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!