Dark Days

As I stared out into black darkened sky of the long night, I feel a cold tingle. It makes the blonde hairs on my on my back stand on end. I don’t understand why nobody would want to adopt a perfectly normal little boy like me from an adoption home who treats their foster kids like worthless pigs in the slums. I’ve run away from that wicked disaster piece and I’m now alone like a lion cub without his mother. I sit under this large, old, weathered piece of oak, I think of how…. SHHHHSHSHSHSCRRKK! The large bushes behind me whistled and moved awkwardly. “What was that?!” I ask myself in a sudden panic. The bushes continue to move and crunch wildly as if a group of lost campers are trying to wake the dead, but I hear no voices. The weird piece and awkward calm of the night has been eliminated by a desperate panic, of curiosity and anxiousness. As the restless cracking of aged shrubs continues, I form an uneasy sweat. Without my medication for my twitch, I'll be twitching like a madman being electrocuted, like in an old cartoon movie.

I only have the moon to give me light. The moon shines bright, bright like the burning sun in a burning hot dessert in mid summer. I scram up the tree. As I reach higher ground I feel a tad bit comfortable. I start thinking about the creature that lurks behind the bushy leaves and moss covered shrubs.

As the night grows older the “creature” appears to have either gone to sleep or disappeared. I’m still uneasy about the fact that something’s down there. I was wrong. Out of nowhere I hear the murderous, deep, grizzly growls of a beast. The voice of a killer. The sound of its growl makes me regret running away from the foster home. I think to myself, 'Is this creature going to arise from the bushes?' Funny enough the rattling starts again and the peace of the night is broken once more.

This time the beast moves forward, I taste fear and the beast knows it. It smells it. I start to see something arise. I see a big wet blob of thick shiny dew drop from a ferocious snout fall silently to the floor. Its creeping slowly and dangerously. A crack of sharp, crisp thunder smacks the tree and I fall face first in the dirt.

I desperately want to get up and run but as I face up I find myself facing the bush. Another sharp THWACK! I don’t know if it's me or not but I just saw this in slow motion. I think it’s the lack of meds… The lightning cracks and I see the sharp teeth of a wolf with a wet drawling tongue. As its red evil eyes stared at me, it was wet, shagy, his fur moved with each silent step of stealth and control. I take a final glimpse and I smell the years of unwashed hair, and the stench of foul rotten breath. I taste the sweat drop into my mouth from my anxious forehead. The wolf moves forward and everything turns black.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!