Fallen

I thought I was safe. They would hardly attack a square full of people. I was wrong.

Darn. They found me. Again. Turning, I slowly, quietly started to move in the opposite direction, acting like I had forgotten to turn, or missed a shop. As I continued to walk I picked up my pace. Faster and faster I walked, moving through the crowds a way that was used only on the streets of New York. Glancing over my shoulder I saw none of the ‘them’ from Times Square and I breathed a sigh of quiet relief.
As I slowed my walk to a stroll, I could feel the weight of someone's stare on my back. Turning my head, in what I hoped was a casual glance, I looked for the source of the glare. I was greeted with the glowing red eyes of those whose kind hunted my kind. I felt my heart begin to speed up, slowing making it’s way towards racing. Continuing with my ‘causal glance’ I looked to see if there were more. Turning my head a full 180º, I met six more pairs of glowing red eyes. I moved faster, running this time. I could hear the disgruntled shouts of the pedestrians who were shoved aside when the demons began to give chase. The people continued to yell, even when their noise got no reaction from those who fueled their anger. I almost turned around and told them not to bother, that when demons were on a mission like this one, nothing would could keep them from reaching their goal, least of all a few angry New Yorkers.
It was times like these that I wished for my wings. Wished they hadn’t been stripped along with my place inside Heaven’s gates. But they had been taken when I was pronounced fallen and wishing for them wouldn’t bring them back.
My shoes made a dull ‘thunk, thunk, thunk’ as I ran around the corner. I was exhausted but I had no time to stop. If I slowed even a little they would catch me and then it would all be over. I was running and running and trying desperately not to trip over. I had to stay focused. I risked a glimpse behind me and almost fell. They were maybe ten meters behind me and gaining fast. If it was possible, I sped up, looking everywhere for an escape, a way out. I found nothing so I just kept running. I knew I couldn’t run forever. I thought I might make it. Then I tripped and fell, a large wooden grate falling onto my chest. I watched the demon in the lead smirk, as he reached where I lay. I felt the blinding pain as he sank his knife straight through me.

I leaned back in my chair and put my pen down. Stretching out both the cramp in my hand and the pins and needles in my leg, I rose and handed in my completed essay.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!