Take Care

The hallway was silent. Every shuffle of bed sheets and drip of medication being infused into bloodstreams could be heard. I stood in the North wing, waiting for something to tell me I shouldn’t run; run away from this monstrosity of an institution. If I ran, I wouldn’t be running away from a building with a bulky sign on it, I would be running from my life. Hospitals these days do what they need to get money, even if that means taking me, a youthful boy, off the transplant list just to give an ancient affluent man a new kidney. I was depressed. Everything that has happened in the last few months has made every inch of me feel pain and I wanted it to end. I felt empty and as though I was on a treadmill that sped up constantly, never moving forwards, never moving backwards.

The sun was almost up but it was still dark. I hadn’t slept a minute all night and I needed rest but I started to walk down the corridor, one foot in front of the other, over and over again. Walking. The lights shut off, darkness crept slowly over the hall. I started running. It pained in my stomach and throbbed in my legs but I kept going. The light of the new day was enough to see where to go. My gown flew back as though wind had come past me, it felt good. I wasn’t on a high level so I took the stairs. It would make me feel better to keep running instead of waiting on a huge piece of metal technology to take me down two floors. I knew people would try and stop me getting out the doors but I didn’t care. This body had been through enough trauma and my life had been placed in the hands of enough doctors who plainly didn’t care whether I lived or died. I get told they try but I know they just want my parents' money.

I reached the bottom of the stairs and ran past the front desk even though the receptionist called out. The security guards were not around, it was perfect. I stepped out into the chilled and crisp air. All my senses were itching. I had not been outside in over three weeks. I could smell the roasting coffee from the café over the road. I could hear the birds chirping with jubilation. I could feel life around me. I halted and embraced everything I could.

Someone clutched me from behind. Of course I wouldn’t really be able to make it far enough to leave forever and even then I wouldn’t be physically stable enough to survive. That short few seconds, where I experienced the thrill of life would help me get through the next three weeks of blood tests and therapy because it meant I was alive and as much pain I felt, I still had hope I would one day get better.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!