Sacrifice


I bent my back further to nibble at the tough, nutritious grass. The mellow light of the sun cast the Savannah into a sea of yellow waving stalks. Around me, members of my herd were slowly chewing on the grass, luxuriating in the soft warmth of the afternoon. I smiled contemplatively as I chewed and swallowed the grass, it had been a long battle to win the title of Chieftain but it was worth it. I, Finite, was the Chieftain of the Southern Plains Gazelle Herd.


Suddenly, to my left I spotted a movement among the tall grass. I raised my hooves into the air, shaking my antlers back and forth. Alarm! Alarm! I spotted the emerald green eyes of the cheetah in amongst the delicate stems of the veldt. There were many fawn this year, they would be the first to die if the cheetah attacked. There was nothing for it, a sacrifice had to be made and as chieftain, I had to make it.

I stamped my feet as my herd ran past me. The cheetah had locked its eyes on me; it came out from among the wiry stems of the veldt. I glanced over at the herd, they were still not faraway enough. I had to buy time. The cheetah and I circled each other, our muscles taut as violin strings. Cold calculating eyes watched me as soft paws padded the dusty ground. This would not hold him off for long. The only way was to run.


I turned in the opposite direction of my herd and ran, my taut muscles springing me forward like a stone in a catapult. Behind me I heard a twang as the cheetahs own muscles were released. I felt the sudden breeze as his gleaming white claws missed my tail by inches. Adrenalin pumped through me as my heart sped up at its close brush with death. My hooves pounded on the sun baked earth as I galloped towards the setting sun. Behind me, I heard the cheetah accelerate until. Slash! Red shot into my vision as white hot agony engulfed my back leg. Each step made the world shake with pain. I felt hot blood pouring out of the open wound. What weakened me invigorated the cheetah. At the smell of blood he sped up, until I could feel his hot breath on my wound.


My heart dropped. I saw a gorge ahead. There was no way I could make it. I wondered if the pain was making me hallucinate the eerie fog that spiraled out of it. Behind me, the cheetah slowed down, he knew that I was trapped. I had to jump, I saw the edge coming up and with all the strength I possessed I leapt. I felt like I was flying as I landed with a broken grace on the other side. I closed my eyes to the cheetah’s furious roar.


From now on, I was Finite, the wanderer.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!