UFO At My Local Pool

“Goggles?” “Check!” “Shorts?” “Check!” “Shirt?” “Check!” “Thongs?” “Check!” I’m in the noisy car park of our local swimming pool and I exit the car. I enter the changing room and change into my green swimming costume. I put on my bright pink Babushka Doll thongs and trot joyfully towards the clear, aqua pool. It’s a boiling, humid day when usually the pool would be crowded with people, yet today there’s still enough space to properly swim.
“Splash!” I jump into the pool. Hmm! Freshly chlorinated water. I like to peacefully wade in the shallow water, and splash to the deep and back again. I swim backstroke and smile at the lifeguards. They smile back. But suddenly, silence falls.
Everyone isn’t behaving like they should be. I could not be imagining this. Before, I could hear the ecstatic shouts of joy coming from children as well as adults having the best kind of fun. But now, confusingly, it seems as if I am in some other odd timeline or even universe!
I turn my head (extremely dramatically, swishing my long hair from side to side) towards the lifeguards. They’re not smiling anymore. They are all staring at one spot in the pool. This is the moment where most people think frightening alien monsters are going to come. But alas, it’s worse!
I turn back. There’s something in the water. Every eye is on it. I can’t see it properly, it’s blurry. Oh no, this unidentified floating object (UFO) is moving towards me. MAY-DAY MAY-DAY!
I try to swim to the nearest ladder but I’m panicking. I now thankfully feel my hands being grabbed by a lifeguard pulling me to safety. Mum rushes up to me as I unnaturally hyperventilate. I ask, “What was that in the water? I could smell it’s stench from meters away!” In the distance I could hear the lifeguards repeatedly screaming at the shocked swimmers to get out of the pool.
“Mum, what was that UFO?!” I repeated. “What UFO?” she curiously replied. “Never mind. I mean that thing in the pool floating around. What was it?” I exclaim. Mum asks the nearest lifeguard, “What was the object in the pool that made everyone panic so much?” I glance around. Mum is right. Everyone is going bananas! The lifeguard choruses with another lifeguard, “It is highly recommended that you leave the swimming centre at once and go home. We will soon be closing the pool. As you can see, the pool is starting to be disinfected as we speak. Unfortunately it seems that a mother had not placed the right type of swimming diaper on her toddler.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!