Bad Things Happen In Threes

It was 7am and I was already preparing for another humiliating , dark day at school. I slowly made my way down the stairs in the dark silence and surely there she was- the reason why it had happened this way. My body tensed and my free hands turned into tight fists at the sight of her tired face.'Goodmorning sweetie' said my mother with a rise from her frown; she looked as if she was trying to smile. 'Have a seat Mara' she said , grasping her old mug that I had bought for her on mother's day in 2002. The memory seeps over me like a dark shadow; I suddenly feel strange and refuse to remember my happy past. We were a family of three- small but strong. That was before dad left me with a house and a mum , nothing else , he left his daughter that was once as innocent as a newborn into a world full of hate, danger and pain. She decides to go straight into the topic , 'I'm sorry about last night Mara'she ended her sentence with her usual frown. I abruptly had the urge to yell , yell because i was old enough to take care of myself , young enough to have fun.'You didn't have to drag me from that party like that , you know?' 'Mara calm down sweetie you...' 'You didn't have to drag me out of the car like that you know?' I asked , but I didn't wait for an answer.'Everyone stared at me!' I yelled. I could feel my throat going dry- suddenly I had the urge to not only yell , but cry.'Sit down Mara , I wanted to talk to you about...' I cut her off again and and slammed the door behind me as I left the house. I didn't bother going to school , instead I walked to the park down the road where I could finally have some peace. After that moment, everything seemed to be a faded memory, the only thing I could clearly remember was waking up to no bag and no phone.'Great!' I yelled , so loudly that everyone in the park turned around. I slowly made my way home and was welcomed by an unusual silence; my mum was no where to be seen. I reassured myself that she was simply late, like always; I then fell asleep on the uncomfortable couch. It was only in the cold morning when I started getting worried and anxious , where was she? I made my way to the rusted fridge and saw a magnet with '000' printed on it , from that moment onwards my life turned upside down. I used the old,rusted home phone to call and was greeted by a friendly woman, she briefly told me what had happened, well there was two things actually- mum had cancer for two months and was killed in an awful car accident on her way back from work. That was the day that I learnt that bad things really do happen in threes.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!