War And Fish

It was a bright happy day when they came. The day the war began.
May 15 1940- Today was a late spring day, May 15 1940. I was in Mr. Brown’s fields doing what I usually do, playing with my friend Amelia. We were playing hide and seek and Amelia was in. I knew it was perilous, but I went to Mr. Brown’s wheat field anyway. Just as I had crouched down among the wheat, I was yanked up again. It was Mr. Brown. He looked very solemn and full of fury that I began to bubble over with nerves. I thought I was in for a whopping, when Amelia came to my rescue and tried to talk Mr. Brown out of sending a letter to my Dad. Suddenly an incredible roaring sound over powered us, we all just stopped and stared at the cloud of planes in the sky. I don’t know how I knew, but I did. I knew they were ravenous for war.
Lucas A
May 18 1940- Today there was a commotion in the town square. Mayor Crochet was standing on a big box in the large crowd of people. He was speaking into a megaphone and saying things like,
‘It’s time to get ready’ and ‘We need to fight back and protect ourselves’ and then ‘We are acting like sitting ducks for them to blow us up one-by-one’. But that last bit was a bit a blur because Mum scurried me off too quickly.
Lucas A
May 19 1940- I couldn’t find him anywhere. I looked in every nook and cranny. But I couldn’t find him. Dad was gone. Mum said that while I was sleeping, Mayor Crochet called all eligible men to town square to collect their uniforms, get on a truck and go to war. Mum said it was for the good of the country. But I didn’t want Dad to go to war. Not now not ever.
Lucas A
May 20 1940- Today was my very first day without having Dad around. It was hard, but I think I’ll get used to it, although it was a very long 24 hours. Mum had to start work because, since Dad isn’t around to work and get any money. But I just think she is getting board and wants something to do.
Lucas A
May 21 1940- Today there was a big bomb explosion around 200 feet from our town. There was an enormous thud and smoke and debris went every where. Luckily it wasn’t on any ones home. I’m getting really very scared now, not just for me, but for Dad.
Lucas A
May 26 1940- For the past few days there have been a lot of bombings all around our town. School has been cancelled and I can only go outside once a week. There has been a curfew put in place from sundown and I can only see Amelia occasionally. It’s been tough but it’s better than losing my arm or worse, being dead.
Lucas A
May 27 1940- Mum decided, since I was getting very lonely and I couldn’t play outside she would get me two goldfish. I named them William and Elizabeth. They make my days a bit brighter.
Lucas A
June 8 1940- Guess what woke me up with a ‘bang’ last night, literally. It was Dad. He had been discharged from the army because he lost his leg due to a wound infection. But, yesterday my fish got sick and died because of toxins from the bombs.
So it was like I swapped my Dad for two goldfish, and then swapped them back again.
Lucas A

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!