Nature; My Sanctuary

The same as every other gloomy day since their death, John read the mail then escaped away into the forest behind his house on a bush walk amongst all the beauty. For the past few days he had been receiving the same letter over and over again. “Don’t let nature be your prison.” It was a warning but he never listened because nature was his sanctuary. Time seemed to fly by when he was wandering around amongst the forest floor beneath the canopy with a dappling of sunshine piercing through. When the sunlight reached his face it sent a warm feeling through him; physically and mentally the sunshine soothed him and helped him find peace in this troubling time.

As he ambled his mind wandered to them and what happened. If only they had listened to him, then they would be here enjoying the experience as well like they used to.

In the corner of his eye he caught a glimpse of the letter “I” craftily carved into the tree trunk. He thought nothing of it and kept going. A few metres down his eye caught the sight of another letter, the letter “T”. He thought it was just a coincidence and kept ambling on.

The bell birds began to sing their songs. John stopped and tried to spot one, failing he let his mind imagine what it would be like to be a bird. Soaring high in the sky; the wind flowing past; free from all the troubles of mankind. Able to go wherever you wanted without being tied down anywhere. A sharp hissing noise along with the rustle of leaves drew his attention back. Upon sighting the snake John froze. The snake slithered past none the wiser of John. When he thought the path was safe John began walking again. While walking he spotted the letter “W”. Now he was beginning to wander what on earth was going on. Someone had carved this letters into the tree trunks for him, or was it for someone else? It had to be for him, who else walked this path daily? He has never come across anyone else in here, so it has to be for him. After every couple of metres a new letter would appear. He recalled the first couple he had seen and wrote them down along with all the new letters. “IT WAS A PLAN THEY WERE MURDERED RUN ESCAPE”. It was another warning. John began to think that something deadly must be going to occur because of all the warnings he had been given in the mail and some person trying to help him has taken the time to carve a message into the trees along the path he walks every day.

Under his breath he says “What could all this mean? They were murdered. They, who was this they?” Then it suddenly clicked in his brain. His family had been murdered; he was supposed to be dead like them. Consequently someone is after him.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!