Victory

Will’s birthday shone like a bright star in a dismal sky. With the war against Ecanfra and his father's untimely death, his birthday was the only happy event in what seemed like a sea of misery. His father's death chocked him. He hurried to his grandfathers lessons, fighting back tears.
He came to the oaken door of the Barlsey family's house. He opened the heavy door. His grandfather, Geron'asmia sat on a chair in the tutoring room.
"Ah, William, I can begin the lesson, today I will be teaching you magic," Geron'asmia instructed.
A wave of shock and joy flooded through Will. "Oh!" he gasped "Thank you."
Will progressed in the ways of magic over the next few weeks; he mastered spells like burning at will, struggling only with melting metal.
Will's birthday arrived. His mother, Jairobi sat with him as he un-wrapped finely priced gifts such as grand tunics, chaps, a brand new bridle, a leather quiver with brilliant arrows and finally his mother's present.
"Go on Will, open it, you will like it." his mother remarked.
He revealed an emerald green leather scabbard, which contained a sword sporting a silver hilt, emerald pommel and an inscription of a dragon breathing fire.
"Oh, Mother, thank you," he said.
"I was your fathers." intoned Jairobi "Made by elves, I thought it only fair that you should have it."
Will was swiftly recruited into the army to destroy outposts before joining an attack on the Ecanfran fort. The infantry sent out were a small cavalry force.
They ran through wet mud until they saw a small gathering of tents. A strange glow cam from the centre but the soldiers disregarded it as a trick of the morning light. Will drew out his steel sword and ran to the gates. He watched as his friends were slaughtered in a bloody battle.
The Ecanfran opposition was unusually strong and drove back the Noibal forces, despite being outnumbered.
Suddenly rage engulfed him and Will unleashed his power. He drew his emerald sword which burst into flame as he cleaved through Ecanfra's forces. Soon he was in the centre with the strange light glowing from a large ruby, which he destroyed. A wave of red energy sent the soldiers reeling backwards.
Will awoke to a grandly furnished room in the royal palace.
Standing over the bed was Geron'asmia.
"Oh grandfather, it is good to see you," rejoiced Will.
"What were you thinking, using magic?" Geron'asmia intones as his face darkened. "You could have killed the entire Noibal army!"
"Sorry-," he broke off as his grandfather grinned.
"But thank God you didn't, you saved us all" his grandfather laughed. "Turns out the Ecanfran king had dealt with a dark wizard to give his soldiers unnatural strength, the ruby was the key, which you destroyed, thus killing all the Ecanfran soldiers, resulting in victory for Noibal!" finished his grandfather dramatically.
Will was crowned hero. Long after his death, songs were sung and poems written about him.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!