I Choose You

The day has come. As we pull in the lengthy cobblestone driveway, we can hear the sound of lonely infant pets, waiting for a loving and caring owner. Well, one fortunate animal will come home with Mum, Dad and I this morning. I read the enormous sign hanging on the roof. It says, ’The only pet centre that will make you sob, RSPCA, Wacol.’ I walk in the door to cold, refreshing air conditioning, too ebullient to think straight.

”Hello and good morning to you all,” Cindy, the lovely manager of the centre, pleasantly greets us. She shows us around, asking what animal I would like. There are too many, from adorable cats to massive dogs, tropical birds and girly show horses. The place is like a mad house except with poor animals in monstrous cages. I look around, not finding the right cuddly companion.

I see that Mum and Dad are starting to become impatient, so I go and take a sneaky-peak at the cats again. Some cats are tall, some cats are miniature, some cats are lazy and some cats are even active! I feast my eyes on a fat, lazy cat. She gazes into my eyes and I know I have found the right one.

I jump to my feet, as quick and as girly as a woman detective, as soon as our lucky number is called. Cindy makes Mum and Dad sign huge amounts of paperwork about our kitty, while I wait in suspense. She also asks if I would like to change her original name.” Pepper, please,” I say to Cindy when she asked me.
After buying Pepper, we had to buy her cat utensils. There was a huge variety to choose from but we had been told, by Cindy, to buy crystallized kitty litter and a huge plastic box, diet cat biscuits and small, round, spotty bowls, a green pooper scooper and cat toys for her to play with.

I look at Pepper, her whole fragile body stretched out on my comfortable but sweaty lap. As I put on my seat belt with a quick click, the car starts up and we are both very happy that we have found each other. “Purr, purr.” Her beautiful, soft purring makes me feel that everyone, in the whole entire world, should have a kind and loyal pet, just like young Pepper.


FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!