A Servant Of Death

2nd in the 'Dream Big 2013' competition

The pitter patter of my tiny feet sounds like thunder to me as I hastily scurry across the wooden floorboards toward the kitchen. I am fleeing from a servant of death and the only way to stop it is to find its greatest nemesis. As I near the corner, I smell the pungent reek of human and freeze, in an attempt to avoid their gaze. Clenching my eyes shut, I wait for the human to pass, when I suddenly feel an intense pain in the lower part of my tail. Fighting all the urges in my body to squeak out in pain, I turn my head to see a colossal brown boot stepping on my tail. Just as quickly as it had come, the boot soon vanishes, but my tail is red and throbbing like an angry worm. I massage it with my two front paws and lick it in order to sooth the pain. I wait for a few seconds and then continue my journey into the belly of the beast. In order to be quieter, I assume my stealth mode and begin stalking quietly across the kitchen, pressed against the marble walls.
Suddenly a delicious overpowering scent flows over me and I turn my head to see a soaring tower with a ring of thin plastic on the top. I begin to scale the hard black surface but stop, remembering why I was in this hell filled with mouse traps and enchanting poisonous baits. Reluctantly, I twist my flexible body back on course and head towards the big shiny doors that lie ahead. Picking up my pace, I race to the massive doors and stand up on my hind legs to open it, but to no avail. So I decide to wait for the humans to open it for me. Sensing there was not much else I could do, I gathered myself in a dark corner near the door, and fell into a light nap, all the while fearing that the servant of death may kill me in my sleep.
Surprisingly I didn’t hear the human; instead I heard the creak of the doors opening. Snapped to my senses, I jump up and half leap into the cupboard, careful not to let myself be seen by the human. I land in a heap and hit something hard. Fortunately my scotopia kicks in and I see that I had hit an aluminium can. I pick myself up and look around to see if I’m in the right cupboard. I am and in the darkest corner, I spot my saviour; Food. I tackle the lump of stale bread and in a few minutes I find that I have vanquished the demon called Hunger. But I know that in a few hours’ time he'll be back, quite possibly stronger than before.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!