Back In Time

It was early morning and I had gone to dig in the garden when I suddenly hit an oil pipe. Oil squirted ten metres into the sky. Suddenly I was nearly knocked out by an object that had oozed up with the oil and had been lifted into the air by the force of the liquid. Dazed. I looked around. Next to me lay an old urn. I opened it and I was surrounded by dust. It cleared and I blinked.
I was in the 19th century Egypt and I was not wearing my normal clothes. I was wearing clothes I had seen in a slideshow at my school. I jumped when I heard a voice behind me say “hi, how are you? My name is Martha.” I turned around to see a girl my age standing behind me. Embarrassed I said “hi, my name is Fleur.” She asked if I wanted to meet her family. Her family lived at the end of the street past the market place. As we walked together, Martha asked me where I had come from. Although the story sounded very far-fetched I explained to her what had happened.
Martha looked surprised and said “I know where there is another urn that matches your description. Maybe it will get you back to your time.” I followed Martha down a side street to a small temple and we walked inside, it was cool and dark, but lit up with a spotlight standing on a pedestal was an exact replica of the urn that Fleur had discovered. The urn was being guarded by two fierce-looking Arabs who had sabre-swords tucked into their belts. “That’s it,” Fleur whispered to Martha. “How do I get it?” Martha thought and then said “what if we drop this over the rope surrounding the display?” She pulled out a wooden elephant and said “do you want to give it a try?” “Okay” I said. Martha carefully aimed and lobbed it over the rope. “Brilliant!” I walked up to a guard and said “Can I please get my elephant back. It fell in with that urn.” I pointed to the display. He said “yes.” So I went over and got it. I also whispered “goodbye” to Martha and she grinned and said “hurry up!’ I lent over and took the lid off the urn. I was surrounded by dust again and found myself sitting on the grass of my front lawn. Next to me was the urn. I opened it and smiled. Inside was a little wooden elephant. I ran inside to show Mum and put it on my bookshelf.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!