Daddy's Horse And Shining Armour

The three children hung on for dear life on the side of the cliff. The oldest, Vera, hung onto the small and twiggy branch that was barely holding them all up. Holding onto her free hand, was her younger brother Freddy and the youngest of all three of them, Cyril, was holding onto his brother's ankle, and with his other hand, clutching his beloved teddy bear very tightly to his chest. Vera suddenly glanced up and saw a boy, of around her age, who she recognised immediately as the boy that lived down their street. Vera always caught him looking at her.
"Wait! Help us!" Vera yelled at the top of her lungs with a certain measure of relief in her voice. The boy just looked down with a look on his face as though he'd just seen a ghost. He was so completely and utterly petrified that, in the heat of the moment, turned around and ran away.
"Wait! Please!" Vera said as she began to sob. "Help us, please!"
"What happened Vera? Is daddy up there coming to get us?" Wondered innocent little Cyril.
"It's okay, Cyril. Daddy will be here soon in his- shining armour and- his horse." Vera replied, trying to put on a brave face.
"Vera," Freddy whispered, which was barely audible. "He's not coming is he?"
"No," Vera muttered, a tear running down her face.
Vera knew what had to be done. It was the only way. She looked over and saw what looked to be a rock platform. It would take a lot to get over, but it was a life and death situation. Vera began to swing her legs carefully enough so that the branch didn't snap. Freddy, who was very confused, yelled: "Vera! What are you doing?"
"Trust me!" She screamed. "I'll swing you over to the platform, and when we get enough momentum, let go and jump!"
"What about you?" Freddy devastatingly asked.
"I'm sure, but as long as you two are safe," Vera said, puzzled.
"Let go!" Vera screamed. They let go and flew through the air. Young Cyril made it over. He stumbled up with his teddy and looked nervously around for his brother and sister.
"Vera? Freddy?" He asked. But no one responded. All that could be heard was the gentle and soothing wind whistling through the trees.
He looked over the edge and saw his brother and sister together, lying somewhat peacefully on the rocky surface at the bottom of the cliff, still holding hands.
Cyril, at even such a young age, knew they were dead. But he was strong enough, even for a five year old, not to break down and cry. He had learned this very quickly from his father.
A tear crept its way down his tiny pink cheek carrying with it a drop of blood from where he had fallen jumping from the branch. He looked over the edge again and dropped his worn out teddy bear. It landed directly between Vera and Freddy, right above their hands. That's where he knew he belonged because that's where his heart was.
He looked around, there was no one. There was nothing. He gingerly sat down and said:
"Daddy? Are you coming back on your horse and with your shining armour?"

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!