Pompeii

Excellence Award in the 'Dream Big 2013' competition

The last thing I expected to see was the frightened people of Pompeii screaming in utter terror. They were hurriedly attempting to escape from their greatest nightmare, the quickly approaching mudslide, which was constantly closing in on them. The panic-stricken mothers trying to find their missing children, and the already orphaned children are screaming, not knowing what to do or where to go.
I can hear the choked screams and frantic cries for help. The thundering volcano that used to guard the city, and had once been a whispering shudder, had now advanced to a deafening rumble that was as loud as a dinosaur’s roar. I can barely hear as the treacherous mudslide destroys the western side of the city, suffocating everyone in its path.
I can feel the people pushing roughly past me, rushing, trying to get away. I can also feel a sudden pang of heartache as I realised that most of Pompeii’s citizens will not escape the murderous mudslide. Suffocating, in their once warm and loving homes which they never thought would bring them any harm.
I can also taste the bitter smoke and gritty ash drifting down from the towering volcano and smothering the ruined city, casting a shadow over all of Pompeii. I’m forced to breathe in this heavy, charcoal-coloured smoke, making every breath a deathly struggle.
The carefully constructed mud houses are crumbling down, creating obstacles for the rushing crowd. The wooden market stalls are catching alight from the fire balls that are being launched from the exploding mountain.
I start running, not daring to look back because if I do, I could lose a second of valuable time.
Suddenly, I’m grasping for breath and falling to my knees. I can’t breathe – the air so clogged with smoke. As I lose consciousness I know that only history will tell my tale.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!