Now

Excellence Award in the 'Dream Big 2013' competition

In the distant future, humanity has excelled in their development of vehicles to explore our universe. Entire galaxies have been mapped and their planets made inhabitable. Mankind’s population, although dispersed, has reached over 50 billion people. Earth has become the diplomatic hub for galactic disputes. All primitive technology has been destroyed as everyone now has one device to manage their everyday affairs. The device is simply known as “Now”. “Now” was silently put on the shelves 10 years ago and sold poorly until the “Technological Advancement” of 2351 when all pre – 2340’s technology stopped working. Since then, mankind has only used “Now”. They use it to communicate, to plan, to share, and to make their lives more convenient. “Now” is composed of a material stronger and more flexible than any other element found on Planet Earth. Now is made from a diamond crossed with rubber –like material. It is only found on two planets in the Milky Way Galaxy, Neptune and Saturn. The element was named “Cronite” and had a mass that was unable to be determined with mankind’s technology. Cronite conducts electricity, insulates heat and has a pearlescent glow when unrefined. Mankind’s reliance on Cronite turned out to be a dangerous thing. From 2351 to 2354, nothing happened. “Now” was just used as if it was a person’s personal assistant, nobody suspected that their technology had a mind of its own. In 2355 reports flooded in that their “Now’s” were acting up. “Now” began scanning, scanning everything in sight. Dogs, cats, people, whatever it could find. People tried to turn off their “Now’s” but the manufacturer didn’t install an off button, they didn’t believe that “Now” needed to be disabled, that it was ideal for people and their lives. But that’s where they were wrong. “Now” couldn’t be shut off because “Now” was no longer an object to be abused by mankind. Now was a being, a living being. Now began to respond to people’s objections with lethal force. Now couldn’t be shut off, not ever, because Now was a being.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!