TEA

Excellence Award in the 'Dream Big 2013' competition

The summoning was non-negotiable; it was a must on the social ladder, a method of gaining status and recognition almost instantaneously. If one was invited, the assured pleasure of delightful company was awaiting them. Teas from every upstanding culture were always served, and an array of the most delicious scones, biscotti’s and crust-less sandwiches were permanently stacked upon the silver tray. It was the social event of the decade.
Though the theme was generally pink, even the most masculine of men attended, happy to join and mingle with other guests. The hostess herself was young and sociable; but sometimes to her company’s dismay, she always had the last scone. Her parties were always fantastic, and every schedule was cleared to make room for this most prestigious event. She alone decided upon the guests, their placements at the table, and the date of the event.
Her company consisted of a racial mixture, with their own unique characteristics acquired from their differing backgrounds. Teddy, for instance, had been attending for years, seemingly never aging. His chocolate eyes remained youthful, and stared upon the scene in awe each time. He was from Taiwan; his exotic heritage intrigued the other female guests, though none would admit it. Honey was his choice flavour, which he indulged in constantly – a taste only he and Jemima shared.
Jemima fancied Teddy since the first time their eyes met across the table. She loved how his handsome features accompanied his quiet and mysterious nature, and how the hostess would always speak on his behalf. Jemima was Australian, but her accent was barely noticeable in comparison to the rest of the party. For a time, she was disinvited due to an incident concerning herself and another guest over the final biscotti, which inevitably ended at the hands of the hostess. Such a petty occurrence she swore would never happen again.
From China came Mr. Fluffy, who, despite his name, was the opposite of any stereotypical adorable traits. His cold nature complimented his icy glance, which only softened at the arrival of blueberry scones, at which he became rather sociable. Other individuals attended irregularly, but each possessed charming personalities that earned them an occasional seat at the hostesses table.
However, for a few hours after the tea had been poured, scones passed and conversation lingered over repetitious topics, their entirety was paused as the hostess left their presence. They would wait for another party, where they may discuss the same intriguing matters of the individual wearing the most audacious outfits or ‘who would like some more tea’. But as they waited for another event, another delicious tea, they reflected upon their existence. Their whole being was governed by this tea party, their days revolved around their next invite, and they realised with sadness of the inevitable future, it all depended upon the youthful soul of the hostess and when she would return home from school.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!