The Repellent Principal

Excellence Award in the 'Dream Big 2013' competition

“It’s time to go mothers. The children need to go into their room.”
My eyes widened as I stared at the beast before me. She was evil - well that’s at least what my brother had told me. I frantically looked around. Mum had disappeared, leaving me alone with this woman. This was my first day of school, but I was almost certain it would be my last.
My brother had told me horrific stories of school. He told me the principal was a blood-sucking beast who took away the fun from everyone’s day. My mother had been very cross with my brother and told me otherwise. But I looked up to my brother; I idolised him and I knew that he would never lie to me. Why couldn’t I have just stayed in kindergarten?
My class was all the way on the other side of the school and I was scared I would get lost in the labyrinth of the corridors. I took my place and followed the crocodile of other children; we were being led by this woman, to an unknown destination. My mind was a blur. We stopped. We had arrived at the door of the classroom. My heart beat faster. What lay beyond that door?
It opened and I saw rainbows painted on the walls, kids smiling and the teacher’s welcoming face. I began to relax a little.
The day went by smoothly. I forgot to be scared. Maybe school was a good place after all. Suddenly, there was a sharp knock at the door and in walked - the principal. I winced at the sight of her. The other kids stopped smiling. The principal’s smile seemed forced and deliberate.
“May I borrow Sarah Miss Butt?” My heart sank below my stomach. I got up and followed her out of the room. The principal’s hair was blonde and stringy and reminded me of spaghetti. Her eyes seemed grey and cold as she looked at me.
“Please don’t suck my blood!” I pleaded. She stared at me, baffled.
“What are you talking about child? I was just going to take you to see your big brother,” she said. My face went crimson. I had just asked my principal not to suck my blood. “Where did you get this nonsense from?” she asked. I bit my lip.
“My brother said you were a vampire.” My principal’s glare could’ve stopped a herd of rhinos.
“Follow me!” she said. We marched briskly to - my brother’s classroom. She knocked abruptly and let herself in. Heads turned and I spotted my brother.
“Mr. Burrows, I do believe that Riley James has something that he would like to explain to myself and Sarah,” she said. My brother widened his eyes. He glared at me and I looked at the ground. Just then I realised that the scary beast wasn’t at school – but would be waiting to get me when I got home!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!