Lucky The Dog

Excellence Award in the 'Dream Big 2013' competition

I am in a rotting cage trying to stay alive. The smells are disgusting coming from the old newspaper. This is not how dogs are supposed to be treated, is it? Getting fed rotten leftovers. Suddenly, I heard a loud knock and then louder bang!
Suddenly, the room was full of people in a dark navy blue and a dull white. For the first time I can remember I was out of that smelly cage. I was free. I rushed up to greet these new people. They were very receptive; they were giving me so much attention. I was in doggy heaven. I smelt the slightest whiff of uncooked beef in someone’s pocket. I ran around looking for that tasty treat. I found it!
On the way back the house (?) all the way I heard ‘woof woof’ that finally got blocked out by a loud screech. I heard the back door then I saw the door be flung open. They put the other dogs on leads but they kept me off the leash. Instead, I got carried in someone warm arms to the house.
Soon later, I decided it was not just a house it was going to be a home.
My first time being able to run that I could remember was in my backyard it was good to feel the grass on my paws chasing after balls.
After not seeing other dogs for about a month, I was finally allowed to go to the park. I was so excited as well as nervous. How would other dogs treat me? Would they play with me or ignore me?
I was heading through the gate in to the park, when all these other dogs came to meet me. There were no little puppies like I was. All of the other dogs towered over me (except for a tiny Jack Russel). I was hiding behind my owner until we got to the other side of the park. I got to chase balls and frisbees for a whole hour! It felt great on my feet seeing the ball and knowing I could catch it. It was incredibly fun and tiring. That was a great day in the park.
A few weeks later I met a dog called Lapis. It was a Whippet (like a small greyhound) cross golden retriever. It was a little puppy like me. She was still a lot taller (and slinkier) than me but we made a good pair. She was the only dog that could beat me to a ball in the park.
Now days I spend my time racing Lapis and the others in the park just the same way I did in the old days, just these days I always win. You can never lose in the game of life. Even if you are not Lucky.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!