Last Memories

My eyes open and I see familiar faces staring at me. My carer walks into my room and sits me upright. She places a tray on my lap containing a plate with meat and vegetables and a glass of water. I could feel the steam from the roast lamb rise and the scent fills my nose. My son Michael walks over to my bed and begins to feed me.
“The weather is very nice today isn't it Paul?” says Lucy; Michael’s wife. I can’t speak so I nod and look outside the window. There’s barely a cloud in the sky; all the trees are swaying in the soft cool breeze and the flowers soaking up the warm sun are full of colour. I remember when I was younger; I loved to walk through the bush on my farm on warm sunny days, hearing the birds singing and watching cattle grazing. I wish I was still healthy enough to do that.
Then I wake up from my daydream and hear the happy energetic voices of my grandchildren running into my room to hug me. The youngest child, Abbey, hands me a walnut, with a face drawn on it, glued to a leaf. “Like it Papa? I made it for you” she says. I nod and smile. Abbey is eight years old and loves to make things. Lucy takes it and places it on my bedside table and the kids run outside and into the back garden.
The doctor walks in with his small, black satchel in his hand. “Hello Paul. It’s a nice day today isn't it?” he says and I nod. “Well let’s do a quick check to see how you are going shall we?” he says. He pulls out his stethoscope and checks my chest, “Breathe in. Hold. And out” he says. “Well done” he says then pulls out his Sphygmomanometer and wraps it around my arm and squeezes the pump. The doctor's face drops. I freeze. Is everything okay? The doctor finishes and packs up his equipment. He looks me in the eyes and says “Unfortunately Paul, I don’t think you have long left. Your heart rate is slowing and your condition appears terminal”.
My head drops back into my pillow and I stare at the ceiling. My son walks over to me and grips my hand. I think to myself that everything you love can be washed away and life is fragile.
An extremely sharp pain shoots through my chest and it feels like I have been shot. I clutch my chest in agony. Everything goes black.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!