Walking The Plank

“WALK THE PLANK, WALK THE PLANK!” The pirates’ brutal jeers rang out, breaking the silence, cementing her cruel fate. She looked behind her, where the pirates’ faces were almost smiling at the thought of her taking a walk, their fierce presence blocking any hope of escape. Her eyes darted furiously, full of fear, searching for another option. Among the pirates was the cabin boy, thin from lack of food, scrubbing hard at the ship’s deck. He looked up at her, perhaps the only one aboard that showed any sympathy at all. The black sails of the pirate ship billowed in the wind, a painted skull leering from the flag above. The captain’s parrot squawked at her, its beady eyes watching her every move, as it flew from the sails to the captain’s shoulder. Her eyes met the captain’s cold dark eyes. He leant against the post smirking at her, showing no sign of pity at all, his sword glinting in the sunlight. She narrowed her eyes, trying to look as confident as possible. She held her head up high and puffed out her chest. Her long copper hair flew out behind her. The pirates laughed and continued their jeering. The girl clenched her fist and scowled. A lone bird flew overhead on outstretched wings, the black of its feathers contrasting with the blue of the sky, a sign. Slowly, she took a step forward. Her heart thumped loudly. The chains that bound her hands dragged on the thin wooden plank making a horrible sound. The plank groaned. Her mind had gone blank, all sliver of hope gone. She looked out to the ocean, its restless waves making the girl want to throw up, her eyes searching the horizon. Ragged rocks surrounded the rapid moving ocean, looking like daggers sticking out of the ocean. She was surrounded by water. A watery grave. The setting sun dappled on the dark water with vibrant reds and golds. If it had been a normal day she would’ve taken the time to appreciate it, but today the picturesque scene almost seemed to taunt her and her cruel fate. She braved another step forward, the same horrible noise, the same creaking of the plank. Another one. The moment seemed to stretch out, like it would never end. One more step and she would be in the water. The girl peered into the water, knowing it had to happen, but couldn’t quite force herself to do it. The water was black and so dark she couldn’t see any more than half a metre into it, but what she did see made her wish she couldn’t. Something that made survival nearly impossible. “WALK THE PLANK, WALK THE PLANK!” The pirates chant got louder as they grew impatient. The girl looked behind her, an inkling of an idea forming in her head. A crazy idea. But one nether the less. “Arghhhh!” She cried and charged into battle.








FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!