I Knew You'd Find Me

“Xerophyte,” a shrill scream suddenly pierces the air. Immediately I wake up armed with my knife. Only one person alive can scream like that and it's Azalea.

Frantically, I search for her in the midst of all this rubble we were seeking shelter behind. Then, in the pale moonlight, I see her. With tears sadly streaming down her face she looks at me before she's thrown into the truck. Then... she's gone.

I sprint after the truck with infuriated anger. I shout her name and try catch up, but as the first bullet is released and punctures my leg I know I'm too late. I cry out in agonizing pain as blood uncontrollably gushes out of my left leg.

Suddenly, I think back to last year just before my dad left for war, my voice clearly echoes in my mind, ‘Dad, I’ll always be there for her and look after her. I promise!’ “I’m sorry dad, I failed you,” I cry out.

As I'm loaded into the truck that leads to the Army Prison, I think of small Azalea, only nine, 5 years younger than me who doesn’t know that she’s headed into a death trap. While all under 12’s go to a “Junior Camp” they are killed unless they have something useful to offer, all 12 and overs are trained for war and forced to turn and fight against their own country.

As, I’m loaded out of the truck I’m pushed forward and see people from 12 to over 20 in military costumes carrying riffles with grim expressions. I decide to escape and bolt behind a truck but I’m followed by a shower of bullets. How will I outrun them, they have trucks; I have a leg with a gaping hole in it! Then it hits me, trucks. I sprint to the nearest truck I could find. But it’s not empty. Narrowly missing deathly blows, I punch the guard really hard, take his gun and shoot.

The moment the bullet leaves the gun, I feel as if a part of me just died, like I’d never be full again. But as a squad of guards approach I swerve out of the gate and drive. Picking up a map with blood stains on it, I locate Azalea’s camp.

It’s nightfall by the time I arrive, but as I approach, the prison doors open and followed by a squad of guards, I see young children file out. Amongst them, is Azalea. Up ahead, I see a firing squad. She’s going to die tonight.

As they’re all lining up for the execution, the guards take aim and just as the word “Fire,” was being commanded, I sprint in front of Azalea and take the bullet.

I tell her to go and run, before it’s too late. But she stays with me until the end, and as the life slowly trickles out of me, I cling onto her last words as she chokes them out through her tears, “I knew you’d find me.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!