Red Arrow

Zac waded through the gently rippling golden water, holding his red chrome recurve bow above his head, along with the quiver of arrows.All the arrows were feathered black. Except for one.It was red.Red Arrow.Zac sighed and pulled himself up on a rock.He placed his bow and quiver beside him and sat there,enjoying the pleasant sensation of the warm sunshine on his face.Closing his eyes,he lay back on the smooth rock,pillowing his head on his arm.Idly,he wondered what he’d do next.He knew he needed to hunt,but the thought was a little annoying when all he felt like doing after the long walk was lying in the sun and relaxing.But he needed meat.Reluctantly, he got to his feet,picked up his bow and arrows and jumped onto the coarse sand.Slinging his quiver over his shoulders,he strode towards the paperbark scrub.He was in search of a young pig,or maybe a large bird.That would make a meal for a day or two.The thought of meat roasting over the fire made him hungry.His stomach growled.He’d have to get food soon.Stealthily,he slipped through the trees looking keenly for movement.There!He’d seen a sandy-orange shape flit behind a tree.Maybe a pig?Whipping an arrow out,he fitted it to his powerful bow,and walked quickly after it.He stepped swiftly around the tree,and found himself facing a huge dingo!He gasped and stepped back a pace.The dingo snarled,showing gleaming ivory fangs,and charged at him! Zac yelled, aiming his bow, and let fly an arrow. In his fright he missed, and the razor arrowhead embedded itself deeply in the trunk of a paperbark. Zac now defenseless, the dingo saw his chance, and sunk its teeth into his leg. Yelling in pain, Zac shook the dingo off his leg and kicked it against a tree.It gave a loud yelp, and skulked off, its gingery tail curled between its legs. Gasping with fright and pain, Zac sat heavily on a log and looked at his leg.A scarlet stain was rapidly growing on the blue denim of his jeans.He tugged his jeans leg up to his knee and peered anxiously at the wound.It was bleeding profusely,but it wasn't deep.Zac deftly tugged his sharp hunting knife from his belt and hacked away at the bloodstained denim at his knee,intending to use it as a bandage.He bound up his leg.Groaning,Zac knew he still needed food.Jumping to his feet and grimacing when it hurt his leg,he snatched up his weapons and screwed his arrow from the tree.Sneaking desperately through the scrub,searching for a snatch of movement,he strung his bow.With Red Arrow.All of a sudden a plump porker raced out in front of him.Twang!Zac released Red Arrow.Slicche!Red Arrow soared.Zac had meat.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!