The Three Silver Charms

‘Great a whole four weeks of boredom on Paige Island’ exclaimed Jen as she unpacked her bag.’ And there aren’t any children my on the island’. ‘Jennifer who are you talking to’ called Aunt Lisa from the kitchen, ‘no one Aunt Lisa. Aunt Lisa can I go exploring’. Called Jen as she leaped down the stairs. As she reached the bottom her aunt came out of kitchen ‘I’m not sure, I don’t want you to do anything silly’. Aunt Lisa said as her forehead creased.’ Why would I do anything silly’ asked Jen. ‘Well….. sometimes when people they love… dies….. they sometimes blame it on themselves’. ‘oh, so because mum’s died I am supposed to do silly things’ croaked Jen as tears swelled up in her eyes. Jen ran back up the stairs and grabbed her trainers.’ Jennifer what are you doing’ Jen could hear her aunt say but she didn’t answer. Jen put her trainers on as quickly as she could and ran back down stairs. She could see her aunt in the garden having a cup of tea. Jen walked as silently as she could through the living room and into the hallway. Jen opened the door, the door hadn’t been oiled recently and it creaked loudly, Jen’s eyes darted to the living room door but her aunt hadn’t heard. She crept outside and closed the door behind her. Jen heard her Aunt call her name. Jen started to sprint, I’m so glad I wore my trainers thought Jen as she sprinted down the main street. Jen had no idea where she was heading but she soon realised she was running up a hill. Jen was looking at the ground but not where she was going. Oomph… ow. Jen looked up and saw a girl about her age sitting next to her. The girl was rubbing her arm but then she looked up. ‘ Hi ,she said smiling a cheery smile that made Jen want to smile too, my name is Jessica but everyone calls me Jess. I didn’t know there was another girl my age.’ She looks pleased to see another girl her age thought Jen. ‘Hi, I’m Jennifer but everyone calls me Jen. Where were you heading?’ asked Jen ‘anywhere away from the caravan park.’ ‘Why? ‘Asked Jen ‘because my mum is writing a book and she keeps asking me to do the jobs she’s supposed to do’. Jen felt her tummy clench as Jess mentioned her mum. Where were you going, asked Jess, you were running quite fast?’ Anywhere apart from my Aunt’s cottage.’ Answered Jen. Woof rooo woof. Jen looked around and saw a brown dog hurtling towards her. She fingered the charm her mum gave to her the day she died.’ GoMo come here’. Jen looked at Jess and she pointed further up the hill. There was a girl about their age running towards the little dog. ’Hi, my name is Isabel. Hey look we all have the same silver charms.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!