A MAN CAME TO ME ONE DAY… DON’T TRUST STRANGERS

A man came to me one day and said, “I could make you great.” I had no idea what he was talking about, so I just agreed and went with him. I was only ten, an ignorant impulsive young girl, and I let him become my friend.
With him I travelled the world and then we stopped at this place, Jujure. “Here it is, girly!” the eccentric old man said. I peered around. We were standing in a courtyard, cobbled with new, smooth colored bricks, mostly brown and black, with occasional ochre colored ones here and there. In the middle of the cobbles a brand new pure white eagle statue stood in the middle of a huge snow white basin, wings outstretched and beak open. Clean blue water gushed out of its beak and tumbled into the basin. It was the most beautiful fountain I had ever seen. It was nothing like the courtyard at home in the middle of town! At home, weathered grey pavement circled an ugly grey statue of a shovel, which didn’t make sense as we were not famous for digging, but our amazing apple orchards.
The courtyard at home had grasses shooting up out of the uneven mortar. The mortar here looked too good to be true, like some fairies had been here doing brick work! The courtyard was a beautiful circular design, swirling around like a soft serve ice cream. The cobbles were all even as well! Someone had spent a lot of time doing this job. The old man gestured around. I peered even further. The courtyard led to some great white pavements that each led to a street. The streets, I saw, were filled with tidy houses, every single one two stories tall with an attic as well. Every house was light purple with circular windows. The roads were all pure black, all neat and tidy with freshly painted white lines and dots in the middle, indicating where the cars should go. This whole town is perfect, I thought.
But suddenly the man grabbed me and I realized I had started walking off. “Don’t let this town get to you, girly.” He muttered and shook his head. Then he started pulling me along, muttering some inaudible words. I stumbled along, a pace behind him. He didn’t let go of me until we reached the end of a pristine street, where, to my surprise, there was a different kind of house. Instead of a steady shade of purple it was bone white like a bone picked clean. The square windows were framed in green and the door was the same black as the road. The house was luring, I felt something tug at me, and then I realized it was the man. “What is your name?” I asked as he dragged me towards the door. “Nightmare.” He grinned, toothless and gummy. Then he pushed me inside the house.
BY RUBY POUSTIE
500 words.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!