Take A Chance

I sat alone, whatever I had dreamed now evaporated, a distant siren the only sound to greet me. How long had I slept? I suppose it didn’t matter, what mattered was finding something to eat. It’d been three days since I left, three days since I chose to venture out into the world. I had been so certain I knew how to survive; I’d get a job, rent an apartment, and maybe even enrol in a night school to graduate. How little I knew.

Groaning with effort I pushed myself out and onto the street. No one was around this early in the morning, well, apart from the odd men who offered a bed to sleep in, no doubt with them in it also. Shaking the thought from my mind I continued down the cold, bare street.

A car drew past like a mechanical beast ploughing through the dense, inescapable fog. I moved out of the path of the headlights. I’d never been one to get nervous or scared for that matter, but…The world was a bigger place than I’d ever thought. Jarred from my thoughts I bumped into someone. “Hey! Watch it…” What? Where were they? Concern crossed my face as I glanced around, must’ve just tripped…

I blinked away the cold and quickened my pace, trying to rationalise what happened. “I do apologize for that, I wasn’t exactly looking as to where I was strolling” a voice chortled and I spun on my heel. “Don’t look so startled, or did you come to the conclusion you walked into a wall?” The voice laughed again.

In the dim light I saw him. Tall, regal and dressed in a suit, was he supposed to be a butler? “Oh no, I’m no butler” he grinned, his bright, white smile visible even in the low light. “Then what ar-Hey! I-I never said anything!” My voice rose as I began to shout, bewildered by this stranger. I took a step back, ready to run. In return he stepped forwards, his face now lit by the dim street lights. His loose fringe danced over auburn eyes, set above defined cheeks bones on an angular, almost feminine face. Calm, collected and smoothing his dark hair. This had to be a dream.

“Well, dream or not I’m getting out of here” he turned, extending a hand towards me. “Why should I trust you? You haven’t even told me your name” I found myself caught up in his gaze, calm and courteous, and against my better judgment somehow trustworthy. In an electric moment he grabbed my hand and pulled me in, planting a delicate kiss on my bottom lip. “Chance” he whispered coyly, his face inches from my own. “Now, let’s away, to Seattle” and, with a frolicsome grin and a snap of his fingers, we were gone.

The fog lifted from the street and sunlight flooded in to replace it, though it seemed emptiernow. As though a person was missing…Well, two to be exact.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!