Keeper Of The Land

Aimlessly I wander… The red dirt nestles itself between my toes.
Forever thirsty I am… I drink from the gorges ever so deep as its walls tower above me.
The termite mounds rise up… Up to the heavens as far as thy eye can see The small creatures in its depths work all day, chomping, chopping, chipping,
The gum whistles past me… Its smell hits me strongly, its Eucalyptus absorbs my senses And the ghost gum stands tall and white, so very white, like death.
The sun cowers behind the trees as the breeze disrupts the emerald leaves, this is the bush, this is the land I know this place like the back of my hand.
Winding roads sweep past me… They twist into the land Like a snake travelling to its den The tracks are fresh upon the road, as someone goes forth into the ragged abyss.
The gums are now burnt… The smoke rises high
The hawks fly above and feast on all that die
For this is Australia I have no doubt
As it soldiers on through flood and drought,
Hail and shine when its grim and grime, for in the end all is fine.
For aimlessly I wander… Along the dirty, beaten tracks
I am the keeper of the land
The bush has my back.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!