My War

Excellence Award in the 'Dream Big 2013' competition

As I opened the letter my heart sank. War. After all the months of waiting for the news, it had finally hit home. I had to enrol. I had no choice. It's either go to war or let my father, but he is to old and better at the farm work.
Sobbing, I tell my parents that I am to leave next week for Papua New Guinea. After the last war no one wanted to be in the position to go and risk death. But now to be heading off to the front line, it's daunting.
I took everything in. The shops, people, smells, scenery, everything. I didn't know how long it would be until I would be back...if I survived. There were 20 of us from the town who were enlisted to go fight, including my friend Jack. For our last day we were worshipped as heroes. We were given a feast in the town hall for lunch, before we paraded to Melbourne where we were to depart.
By the time we arrived, I was exhausted. My uniform stuck to me like glad wrap. All I wanted to do was crawl into my bed and wake up to the sound of the rooster, but I knew that wouldn't happen.
"Could all soldiers please make their way to dock 17. All soldiers to dock 17" screeched a blank voice. My squadron turned and marched towards the dock. It was hectic. Lieutenants, captains, nurses and soldiers bustled around the dock loading cargo for the trip. We were swept up with the crowd onto the deck, where our captain assigned us to our rooms. There were 4 bunks squashed in together, I barely had enough room to swing a cat. At least it was only three days until we were out, thank goodness it was an express ship.

CRACK!! The boat shook violently. We had finally landed in our new home. Generals ordered us to get off as efficiently as possible, our front was crumbling. We barely had enough time to dump our belongings at camp before we were arranged to take the Kokoda. My unit was assigned for the east front, closest to the river. If anything my fleet were under the most danger, although anyone could die at any moment.
The battlefield echoed of eerie silence. No one dared to move, a single sound could awaken the battle. My heart was racing. Our captain gave us the signal. I took one last breath, wondering if it would be my last. Then all hell broke loose.
Fumes and smoke were everywhere. With my gun in my hand I ran amongst the chaos. Mud sprayed everywhere, and shrapnel was scattered amongst my battalion. I watched my friends drop, one by one. Soon there were only 3 of us left, until I was struck by a bullet in the head. Memories flashed before my eyes. If only I could say 'I love you' one more time. Then everything faded to darkness....

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!