Z Day

“Hello?” I said, nothing, just an empty town, “Hello?”
I was walking out of the building filled with abandoned gurneys and blood pressure machines. The double doors swung open, the blinding light of the outside world hit me like sunshine to a bats eyes. I just woke up from the surgery on my arm, and, strangely, it seemed like I was the only person in town.
I walked into the street, still in my surgery robe, I heard something, a little pant of breath. It wasn’t much, but it was enough.
I scanned the area, nothing. Am I imagining it? My mind is all foggy, I can’t remember a thing. Then I heard it again, a little pant of breath. I fell completely silent.
“Hello?!” I shouted.
The panting got louder. It was coming from a rubbish bin. I walked over and there was a little girl lying in it with what looked like gangrene on her arm. The weird thing was she was still moving it, and she was trying to shake it off. Then it started to spread. It went up her arm and moved on to her chest as well. She was crying. “It’s ok sweetie, you’ll be fine” I said warmly and gently. But she didn’t stop, she just got louder. Then I heard a voice in the distance, but this voice sounded healthier and stronger.
“What you doin fool!?” He shouted at me.
I turned around and there was a black guy in a slouch beanie, shorts and t-shirt with a baseball bat in one hand and a gun in the other.
“Turn around and put your hands on your head!” He said raising his gun slowly.
“WOAH WAIT WHAT!?” I shouted “WHAT IS HAPPENING TO THIS LITTLE GIRL?”
I pointed at her, but he stayed silent and started walking forward.
“Man back away from her quickly!” He said. He holstered his gun, grabbed my wrist and started pulling me away.
“Com’on man please just tell me what’s happening.” I said. I pinched myself, “Ok, maybe not.”
“HURRY UP!” He yelled.
“TOO LATE!” He shouted.
I turned in horror thinking it was just a nightmare then I saw that my worst dreams had come true. The guy started shooting at the girl...
“RUN!” He said.
The girl started running, getting faster, heading towards me. I turned and sprinted down the street in bare feet, my robe flapping behind me. The gunshots got softer now, but I heard a yell saying “SHES AFTER YOU MAN RUN!!”
I heard footsteps and turned panting. I saw the little girl running coming straight at me.
“Oh damn!” I said, and turned and ran but she was still gaining.
“NO!” I shouted, but it was too late. She grabbed my leg and bit.
“OUCH!” I yelled, then I blacked out…
BLAM
Gunshots rung in my ears. I woke up, but something was wrong. All I could see was red. I blinked and I could see again, but the world had a red tint to it. I got up and realized that I was on the verge of turning.
“NO,” I rasped out. “Help...” Then I just let myself go.
I felt paralyzed but I was moving, although it wasn’t me moving. I had the horror of watching. “It” sprinted at the black guy but he swung his bat as hard as he could. I could still feel pain.
He pointed his gun at me and the last thing I saw was the girl biting the guy’s leg and as he fell, he shot.
“BLAM” and the world went black…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!