Dark

Collin breathed hard. It was hard to see as the only light was the emergency light in the subway cart. He could have been home by now if the power hadn’t gone. Now he was trapped underground, in a subway car by himself. He looked into the car next to him. The door was electronic so he couldn’t open it. But there was someone inside, a woman facing away from him; she must be asleep as she was unresponsive to his shouts. He slumped back down, hoping that the power came back on soon. He sat in his seat and waited for something to happen. Where was the driver? What if he was trapped as well? Suddenly he heard a loud “BANG”. Collin jumped; something had fallen on the roof. He was breathing harder. The walls seemed so close. He felt powerless but tried to calm down. It might be someone trying to turn on the power. He eased back and relaxed, convincing himself that there was nothing to be afraid of.
He slumped up, and walked around, after a few minutes he decided there was nothing he could do. He looked out the window trying to see through the darkness. But that was all there was, pitch black darkness. It seemed to press against the walls, trying to crush them inwards. He looked as hard as he could, focusing on anything, then he saw them.
He couldn’t see them at first because he was focusing something far off, but they were on the window, scratches. Scratches covered the windows, as if animals with sharp claws were trying to scratch their way in. He was getting scared because he knew that they weren’t there before. But he hadn’t heard a thing, nothing had even sounded as if they were being scratched. The only noise he had heard was the bang on the roof.
But there was only silence, not a sound. He ran back the corner, leaning towards the door and was breathing harder. He tried to stay calm but something was boring into him; something wrong, out of place. He looked back to the light. The light was dimming. Oh god no. He slumped back in the corner, waiting, hoping the power came back on. Then a growl pierced the silence. He heard the movement outside the doors. Collin tried to sink into the corner watching the door. He heard the “things” clawing the door. The sound flooded the cart, piercing into his ear. The cart started to rock and the things were trying to get in from all sides. The light was almost out. He yelled, curling up on the floor and screamed “HELP!”
And then it just stopped, no more sounds, no more movement, no more darkness. The lights were on and the subway train moved. He laughed, feeling as if God had touched him. He looked back to the next cart where the woman was sleeping, the doors where ripped open, and she was gone.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!