Mad Men March

Tuesday, 13th of October, 2237, A.I.
After the talk from General Youthenburg, I start to really consider my luck. I’m about to walk into battle with millions of mad men. Men from what we like to call, “The Hidden Continent”. No face, no soul, no heart, and definitely no sympathy for anything whatsoever, even their own kind. That is why they must be destroyed. “Hey Pete, Youthy needs you,” said my friend, Alistair. “Really?” “Rest in Peace.” I stand up and approach the door. It was never good when the General asked for you. I open the flap of the tent and the sunlight blinds me. As my vision starts to focus, I trudge towards the Main Building at the centre of the camp. I knock on the door and a gruff ‘Come in’invites me. I push the door and see General Youthenburg sitting in his armchair with a map of the valley. On top of this map were several scattered red and blue marks. “General, did you need me?” “Sit.” I look around for a chair, but none stand other than the vacated one by General Youthenburg. “Sit on the ground,” says the General. I look down to find a rugged carpet, made of twigs woven together. I sit down and the twigs itch me all-over, but I barely react except for a slight grimace. “I have brought you here, because I need you to do something extremely important for me.” “Sir?” I think I know what’s coming. “The Mahekchqe Leader has recently come down with a severe disease. As I cannot let him lead the group into battle, I now ask you to lead them.” I was dumbfounded. “Are you sure?” “Absolutely, now leave. We walk onto the field in exactly half an hour. Be ready, your group’s camp is about a 5 minute walk. Meet, organise, and prepare.” I sit up and walk towards the door when General Youthenburg says one last thing. “Peter”, I turn around to face him. “We’re counting on you.”

Half an hour later, the General came and said it was time. I shuddered. “Let’s go men.” We march as one onto the field. It’s a classic scene from a grim war movie. The sky was grey and the ground was shrouded in blood. A shrill scream sounded from the left of me. The war had started... Our army knew what to do. They split up into three groups, one stayed; one ran left and the other, right. Spears flew through the air, piercing the flesh of so many men. I moved forwards, wielding my double-sided axsworde, its edges glinting in the dull light. I look ahead and find a gap; maybe I can slip through, invade the base and destroy their Ruby of Life (A ruby that enabled the creatures to live). I sprint through the opening, but as my head looks back and forth, I suddenly see to my dread, a bow-man, aiming at me... All is lost... Farewell Earth.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!