War, Revenge, Death

The world was at peace once. A long time ago. I think. The happiness and love that was once given to me by my family shattered when Death embraced them, along with my dearest friends. Losing your cherished ones is and will never be comprehensible at first. But then you realise that no one is there when you wake up of a morning, or when you need the company of someone to keep you sane. At first you just pretend that they’re away temporarily and will return to you soon, but with War literally in your backyard, you disregard the thought instantly. Losing your appetite and sleep comes next. For days, weeks, weight is stripped from you as easily as peeling an apple. Tossing and turning because nightmares pay you a visit every night, will be the only company you receive for a while. After, you just accept reality and learn that to survive the treacherous events of War; you think and take care of only yourself, and nothing else.
I use to be a ceramicist. Making art with the earth, creating extraordinary pieces. Spinning the wheel was second nature, the wheel being my only friendly companion. I miss the smell of the burning wood inside the kiln, collecting my own clay; the feel of it molding into shape between my hands. I miss showing off my ceramics to my family.
Not long after spring, America became a dictatorship and declared War on Japan, wanting revenge for Pearl Harbour. Mongolia and China both wanted to be an Empire, so they joined forces and defeated Russia, spreading their power over Asia slowly. The Commonwealth collapsed and the countries were at war with one another. For whatever reasons, I never found out. India fell into the hands of Mongolia and China; not being able to protect itself from lack of military help. Indochina reformed and signed alliances with the Asia-Pacific countries, aside from Australia, and are still trying to fight away Mongolia and China’s power from broadening. War was called into battle, but just because America and Japan summoned him, the rest of the world didn’t have to use him too, or throw Death into the game even, but then it was Revenge who played the first move.
After my family was gone, I became solitary. I was unprepared for War like many others. I was a ceramicist, not a soldier. Holding a gun was a difficult task; firing, reloading and aiming were all more challenging than I ever imagined. However, I learned to adapt and before long, looking out for my life became...less hard. I've hid from soldiers, families, people, even Death.
War is unfortunately raging on ferociously, fuelled by Revenge, ending with Death and despair. If anything, these three mercilessness foes of humans should not have been called on. I fear Mother Nature will never survive this monstrosity handled by mankind. She will not be there for the future generation, that is, if there ever will be any survivors.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!