Sunflower

Finalist in the 'Dream Big 2013' competition

These sunflowers are so bright; you told me they were like a thousand little suns all staring up at their mother, yearning for her attention and being rewarded with the warm smile she gave them.
I think I’ll go blind staring at them for so long, and so I move on and into their depths, the hill that overlooks them mirroring the one I can see you on, so far away.
They’re enveloping, the sunflowers, and I love it, feeling the mixture of shade and sky as I jog by; there’s no rush. It’s such a nice day, why waste it?
Bees and ladybugs buzz by with their own business, the world of insects as interesting as the world of man, more so, in some cases. I leave them be though, allow them their joys so I can carry on with mine. That joy being you, I suppose.
It’s strange, such a thought; dear and loved, but a strange thought nevertheless. I don’t deserve a person like you; so radiant, so bright, so beautiful. Yet you take interest in me, a thought I’d never entertained as I gazed at you from across the schoolyard, always happy just to see your face each day.
Is that the reason you took interest, because I didn’t? I hope not, you’re the reason I get up each and every morning, I don’t want you to think differently.
I realise I’ve come to a standstill, just watching you dance atop the hill, barely visible through this canopy of sunflowers, and I continue on at a slower rate. I see your dress flutter and twirl, sharing the same colour as your hair, which in turn shares the colour of the flowers I am surrounded by, it would be in that order.
You always called me such a nerd for speaking chronologically, I thought you’d been insulting me, and I didn’t really mind. Everyone did. But it was a tease, a light poking of fun that most people identify with as the flirting only children practice, now that I know that, I am astounded I didn’t see it myself.
The smile that creeps onto my face is self-deprecating, for all my smarts I can be pretty thick. But in any event I continue, reaching the base of the hill where the flowers end, it’s almost a shame to leave their warm embrace, like saying goodbye to an old friend.
You’ve stopped and turned to me, and I give a short wave, my other hand keeping the strap of my bag in place. You return the gesture, the former anyway, and I soldier on up the last part with as much confidence as possible; I might be overdoing it.
Of course this all breaks down when you kiss me, and I feel my knees go weak in your warmth and love, and I can’t help but remember my little train of thought;
For all my flaws, you still love me; enveloping me, just like these sunflowers.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!