A Bucket Of Water

I began the long trip to our village’s lone water pump, our house had run out of water and since I was a girl it was my duty to fetch another bucket. It took an hour on most days but today I could feel the sun burning my back and heating up my hair, it was always more tiring on the hotter days. I was barefoot, we could not afford sandals, I walked as fast as I could carrying the pail but it was hard with the rough rocks under my feet. My blisters, from when I walked this same path two days ago, had just begun heal but now they began to break open. I felt one pop as I placed my right foot on the ground. I gasped as I felt it but I could not stop and take care of my foot as it would only take me longer.
Baba had not been bathed in a week and Mama was scared he would get infected, being only a year old his body could not protect him. I hurried, thinking of him and ignored the piercing pain in my foot. I turned it up to see the mixture of blood and pus covering the underside, I would wash it at the pump. I sped up thinking of the cool relief for my affliction. I could see a few other women walking the same way as me, it wasn’t unusual to travel to this pump as the river near our house was now a murky black colour. Some people still drank from it.
I saw the small tap ahead and quickened my pace. After reaching the pump and placing my bucket under the hose, I began to jerk the handle up and down. Once it was full I placed it back on my shoulder and began the walk back. I was halfway to our home when I saw a strange shaped object on the ground, I would waste more time if I went to see what it was but I did anyway. Lying on the ground was a woman, she looked to be about twenty years old, she wore a look of fear and tiredness. Her eyes were closed and her face looked pale and sallow. I put down my bucket and cupping my hands reached into the water and splattered some on her face. Her eyes started fluttering. 'Water' she said in a rasping voice. I helped her sit and passed her my bucket so she could drink. After she drank she began to wash her face, I wanted to tell her to save the water but I hadn't the heart. She smiled at me when she was done and got up and walked towards the tap, holding her bucket. I looked sadly at my own empty bucket and then at the sky getting darker. But I had no choice. Slowly I put my bucket back on my head and began the long walk back to the pump.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!