I Fear Nothing

Once more I plunge my sword into the creature, one swift blow, and it collapses on the street, becoming more transparent as each second passes, until it disappears.
I slide my blade back into the leather pouch on my belt and I kneel down, cautiously waving my hand back and forth where the creature was. My hand passes through the air easily; the beast is gone.
My name is Camelia Noke, I am a Guardian. One of the few who these despicable creatures cannot harm. But we can harm them. That is our job; to harm them. Guardians are exceptionally lucky. Unlike the millions of other humans, we cannot be killed by these dangerous creatures. But as a price for our safety, it is our job to protect everyone else.
I was never meant to be a Guardian. The creatures feed off fear. Even the slightest worry can attract one of them. If you get scared, you are in great danger. And, with the knowledge of this, all the earths population cannot help but be scared. This planet is a feast for the creatures; fear in every corner means food in every corner.
The amygdala in our brain controls fear, if you can control the amygdala, then you can make yourself feel no fear. The government created an injection for this, only it is terribly expensive at one hundred thousand pounds for one dose. A raffle was held. The prize was a jab of this wonderful invention; but there was only enough for one winner. The losers soon got angry and a riot broke out. The poor man holding the needle thrust it at the person he thought was the winner and then got trampled. The needle hit me.
I became a Guardian. From that moment I felt no fear.
I stand up and begin walking along the street. I can see two children huddling together behind a trash can. The black dust in the air around them is visibly swirling, as if alerting me. Then the creature appears out of no where, towering above the children. One of them screams, the other cries.
I unsheathe my sword as I run toward them. The creature can't sense me, I am not scared. As it opens its mouth to reveal those spear like fangs, I impale my sword in its side. It screeches and lashes its right arm out at me. I dodge the razor sharp claws. I lose the grip on my sword when I trip over myself and fall to the ground. The creature begins thrashing its arms about in random directions. I stand up and grab my sword. One more dodge and I'm behind it, out of its reach. The children stare up at me with desperate eyes.
I am a Guardian, I will protect the worlds citizens.
Once more I plunge my sword into the creature, one swift blow, and it collapses on the street, becoming more transparent as each second passes, until it disappears.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!