Daddy's Little Angel

A figure silhouetted against the gloomy grey stare. Her eyes were monotonous, derived of emotion. She was Elizabeth – and she was visiting the man that she had never forgiven. Her papa. Elizabeth’s golden locks obscured her face, but anyone who looked would see years of anger and pain writhing like venomous snakes underneath her complexion. He was dying.
Elizabeth stepped into the room. The fresh smell of pine engulfed her, and for a moment, she thought she was that naïve 10 year old that had lived here. She was brought back to reality by a racking cough.
“Father,” she muttered, “Why…..”
He was leaving. She leaned against the wall. Her parents were raging from beyond the wall. They hadn’t bothered to tell her about their fraying relationship. With tears cascading down her face, she stumbled to the place she called her haven.
She gazed at a photo. A photo of the family – together. Together forever, her father had promised. Her daddy had lied. The family was broken apart. Elizabeth’s world came crashing down.
“You ruined my life! I trusted you! You ripped it to pieces and stepped on it! You broke mum’s heart! You broke MY Heart! I hate you!” Elizabeth stormed out of the room, fuming with rage. She did not see the tear that slid down her father’s face, nor did she hear the wistful murmur, “I’m so sorry….” Those words had seemed to take the last of his strength. He faded into darkness, wishing he had provided a better road for his corrupted daughter….
She strode into a random room – and her heart gave a wrench. This had been her study. Her sanctuary.
She huddled in a corner and gave out heart wrenching sobs.
“Elizabeth….” They finally realized their daughter knew….. Maybe he wasn’t leaving after all? A glimmer of hope lit in her heart.
“Come here,’ Elizabeth popped into view, “I have a present for you.”
From behind his back, he produced a crystal angel. Elizabeth marveled at it. The light caught the design, shining with many colours.
“It’s a goodbye gift.” His words echoed. A goodbye gift. A flame of fury kindled.
“No, no, no…” she snatched the figurine from her father and thrust it across the room. It smashed to pieces. Like her heart.
“I HATE YOU!” her scream reverberated around the house. She scrambled away, leaving her father behind.
Out of the corner of her eye, Elizabeth saw a glimmer. There. The crystal angel. Attached to it was a note.
You have broken something close to my heart. I have finally fixed it. You will always be my little angel.
Love, Daddy.
Elizabeth read the note over and over again. Maybe he had felt remorse. Just maybe. But her mind screamed, “You know you were wrong.” So she did the only thing she could. She cried. And as if answering her call, the heavens opened up and mourned.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!