The Angel's Sword

Excellence Award in the 'Write As Rain 2014' competition

The great hall bustled with people. Everyone was eager to see the elders of our township. They were the legends in our stories, great heroes who had once fought for our town; so it could be the place it was today. They were looked upon as strong, muscular warriors, but when they walked out into the open and our eyes were lain upon them, the hall went silent; not a single person breathed.
The elders were old wizened men and woman, probably too old to even be in the sunlight. They could hardly see out of their eyes, they were so wrinkled and droopy. One of the men pointed into the crowd. I recognised him as Elderon the great, the man who killed five hundred opposing goblins.
"Come here my child." His voice was raspy and was bearly audible even in the silence of the hall. The boy that walked forward was about my age, he was tall and gangly, hardly worthy for the responsibility that was about to be bestown upon him. He stumbled as he walked up onto the platform where the elders were.
"Child, you have been chosen to become a warrior for your town, a protector of your people. Do you; Edgar Harding, take this responsiblity as your own?" This time the mayor spoke, probably to save the elder's from speaking.
"I..." The boy hesitated. He looked around the auditorium, and then back at the elder. "I do."
A huge cheer erupted from the crowd. Everyone was jumping up and down. We had a new elite warrior, someone to teach the young ones and fight in our greatest battles. It was clear why everyone was so happy, but I was not. I had trained since I was eight, to be valid for this honour, and now i hadnt even been considered. And tell was, that there was to be only one elite warrior this generation. I hate to say it, but i was jealous. As the eder's were practically herded off the stage, one stopped and looked me directly in the eyes.
"Wait." His voice was strong, and silenced the excited twonsfolk quickly. "There has been a change of plans."
The mayor quickly stepped forward and talked to the elder. He was evidently unhappy about the decision. But the elder dint even notice him.
"Lass, come to the stage please." Everyone looked around and asked eachother who he was talking to. But i knew, he was talking to me.I walked forward and bowed my head as i passed the elders, but kept my head high and walked confidently. It was happening, my biggest dream was coming true!
"Do you; Lillian Friar," His voice brought me back to the present. "Accept the responsibility to be a warrior of your town and-"
"Yes." I didnt wait for him to finish.
The elder nodded, and brought something from behind his back. It was long and thin. Everyone in the auditorium was looking at it in wonder. No-one knew wat it was... excpet me. I knew. It was the angel's sword, a huge part of our towns history. My eyes widened as he held it out ot me.
"Take it." He urged.
I did. The cloth covering it fell away, and the sowrd flamed in my grasp. They were flames from heaven,I had read about them before. They could slice through anything, and it was now mine. I was smiling like an idiot, but for the first time in forever, i didnt care what everyone thought of me. I was an elite warrior, and in my hands, i held the Angel's sword...

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!