Today I Choose Joy

Excellence Award in the 'Write As Rain 2014' competition

I was ugly. There is no doubt about it. I was an ugly kitten in a litter of 9 cute, gorgeous kittens. Everyday a child used to come in with $20 to buy one of my siblings and then they will be absolutely overjoyed with themselves. But I had been there for 10 weeks and soon enough I had become all alone. That was until one more little girl came into the shop.

‘Ding – a – ling – a – ling!’ Went the bell signalling someone had come into the shop. It was a mother and her daughter. A mother and her loved, cared for daughter. Ooh. Anyway, they went into the shop and went right to the shop manager. “Hello,” said the girl in a sweet voice. “Which pets can I get here for $10?” The man thought for a while. “Well,” he began. “You could get 10 small goldfish.” The girl looked at the fish. “Or a small mouse?” She looked at the mice. “Anything else?” she asked politely. “Well . . . that kitten over there is half price. $10 because it’s been here for 10 weeks. Poor thing. Very ugly though.” The small girl wandered over to the box where I was. I looked up at her with my ugly, hopeful, brown eyes. “I . . . um. . .” she was lost for words. “I think he’s quite cute – I mean really . . . behind that flea-ridden fur; and broken nails; and half cut tail, I think there is a truly beautiful creature.” I was honestly surprised. No one had ever complemented me before. “Mother, I would like to get . . .” “Joy.” The manager assisted. “Yes, mother. I would like to get Joy.”
“Are you sure sweetness?” she asked.
“Yes.” The girl answered.
“Super-sure?” she double checked.
“Completely and utterly.” she confirmed.
“Alright.” said her mother doubtfully.
“Shop keeper, today I choose Joy.” said the girl confidently.
“If that’s what you want.” He said. He walked over to me and picked me up. “Here we are!” he popped me in the little girl’s hands and took the money. As the girl walked out, she starting stroking me and telling me how much she’ll care for me. For once in my life, I actually felt loved.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!